Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diamond cutting on silver

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Presumably the sandbag cushion holds stuff still while you are engraving, I wondered how you stopped the work from sliding around. I have difficulty holding silver sheet still while piercing, I suppose my hands arent as strong as they were. I have tried using a clamp but it just marks the silver sheet, any ideas anyone.
    Our hands do get weaker with age Pat, do you pierce on a standard width bench peg (70mm.) and is it secure? if so then you should not need a lot of strength holding sheet down when piercing, don't push the blade forward when piercing and the bench peg should hold the sheet steady as the blade pressure is on the down stroke. It is only shaped items that I find hard to hold while piercing these days.

James

The benchpeg is part of my GRS system and is 70mm. It is the smaller items I have difficulty with. I try to avoid piercing if I can, when it comes to cutting out for instance a square to make a pendant with I normally use shears and then use two steel blocks with the silver sandwiched in between then hammer to make it flat. I have a Knew Concept saw too so there is no excuse, think finer blades may help too as most of the stuff I make is 1mm or thicker and I use a "0" blade or sometimes a "2".

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    The benchpeg is part of my GRS system and is 70mm. It is the smaller items I have difficulty with. I try to avoid piercing if I can, when it comes to cutting out for instance a square to make a pendant with I normally use shears and then use two steel blocks with the silver sandwiched in between then hammer to make it flat. I have a Knew Concept saw too so there is no excuse, think finer blades may help too as most of the stuff I make is 1mm or thicker and I use a "0" blade or sometimes a "2".
    I would use a 2/0 or 3/0 blades to pierce 1mm. sheet, I use "0" for 2mm. thick sheet. I have no experience of the GRS system, my bench peg fits tight into a slot under a brass plate on my bench.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 marking out.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	8076 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38- Hammers and tools.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	8077

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 31-08-2015 at 09:24 AM.

Pat, obviously if your silver sheet can move around, blades will break like billyo. You might like to try this, but it still needs to be fixed=ed to your bench with screws or a strong clamp, or fitted into a slot. Dennis

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1916...=191620833engb

It clamps your sheet like a mouse trap and should at least assist your hands. (large picture, half way down). Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I use them for many jobs... and also for cleaning off bezel tops.
    Hi James,

I'm just starting to practice bezel settings and am intrigued by your comment - I wonder if you could elaborate please, or maybe show an example?

Jayne

Quote Originally Posted by jayneharrison View Post
    Hi James,

I'm just starting to practice bezel settings and am intrigued by your comment - I wonder if you could elaborate please, or maybe show an example?

Jayne
    Hi Jayne, if the top edge of a bezel setting is a bit uneven after setting the stone, I will first file around the rubbed over edge and then use a scorper to cut around the top edge of the bezel wire to give an even finish, making sure not to mark the stone while doing this.

Name:	02 Lapiz  ring.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	8078 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04 silver ring,bezel set lab pink sapphire.jpg 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	8079

James

Ah, thank you James - it definitely does give a brilliant finish. I think I'll leave it a while before I let myself loose with a scorper though!

The GRS system for the benchpeg is just a clamp that screws onto the edge of a bench and the benchpeg slots into it. It is quite a good system, as you can get various attachments. I have a type of vice, mainly for holding rings when stone setting, but there are lots of attachments you can get for it.

James... thank you so so much! For all the links for the tools, the photographs which I will definitely be referring to often... and for your generosity and time... when I looked at these kind of tools before I was so confused as to which ones I should purchase as there are so many, and all with differing names and measurements. Now with these fab links I will go ahead with confidence and get started, well I'll be having a little practice!!! I cannot wait. As a complete novice I cannot tell you how much these links mean to me, even after looking at these types of tools before and reading around the subject for weeks and months on and off, it's so nice to finally know what I will definitely need to get going. ... . I'm thrilled and so thankful to you and everyone else on this site as you are all so generous with your knowledge and skills and it's so refreshing to find. Kinda puts my faith back in humanity big time... THANK YOU once again!!! Huge amounts of appreciation... Janie

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Hi Jayne, if the top edge of a bezel setting is a bit uneven after setting the stone, I will first file around the rubbed over edge and then use a scorper to cut around the top edge of the bezel wire to give an even finish, making sure not to mark the stone while doing this.

Name:	02 Lapiz  ring.jpg 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	8078 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04 silver ring,bezel set lab pink sapphire.jpg 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	8079

James
    I really struggle with that James, what shape scarper do you use?