Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left over silver bits

Default Left over silver bits

I seem to have lots of unusable offcuts probably a jam jar full and not quite sure the best method of getting rid of it. Any ideas anyone, there is a little it to how many balls you can make.

Do you do any casting Pat? I save all my scraps and filings to melt down with new casting grain. I've also done some little freeform "nugget" pendants made by just melting a few scraps together on my soldering block and seeing what shapes and textures emerge.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

add a few together, melt them so they are fused together and make something new. That is how I made this ring. A bit of bashing with a hammer to get it to a sort of rectangle after all fusing was done, then rounded, on a mandrel and then heated again to bring up the silver and achieve that currently much wanted 'organic look'

Attachment 8050

That's beautiful, I love the organic look.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    That's beautiful, I love the organic look.
    thank you Pat - if you have a jar full, you should be able to make quite a few things

Very nice looking ring, i like the way the stones seem to grow out of it. I've made nuggets before and put them on a chain but never though to fuse them together and make a ring.

Neil
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by WitchfordSilver View Post
    Very nice looking ring, i like the way the stones seem to grow out of it. I've made nuggets before and put them on a chain but never though to fuse them together and make a ring.

Neil
    thank you Neil (Sorry not wanting to invade your thread Pat). I intentionally recessed them to make it look like they were melted into it - sort of an over the top (or under the neath??? lol) flush setting.

if you wanted Pat you could add some extra metal in areas, to take some out later for a stone - or even add an accent of another metal??

Hello Neil, not heard from you recently. Wallace you are a genius, I wouldn't have thought of fusing bits together to make a ring. I love rings, and earrings, and bangles and pendants, that just about covers all jewellery really. Presumably you would have to cool it slowly rather than my normal method of dunking.

you would need to let it cool on its own - thermal shock probably isn't very good for the silver anyway. Then Pickle and have a play around, see what happens.

I love making fused stuff. And often add bits of gold too. Here is a ring with a black pearl
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r small deep heavy silver fused gold purple pearl 3704.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	8051
    I need to re-photograph the rings I think (getting better at photoging)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk