Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dremel recommendations for newbie

Yes agree with Nick, mines a Foredom too.

Sorry I keep asking this but I can't decide which to go for, which Foredom do you all use? I am leaning towards the LX but most people seem to have the SR. I am getting it at the end of this month, i currently have a draper thing that sounds a lot like the dremel you have been describing!

SR.
    There may be someone around Reading who will let you have a play.
    If you can be bothered to drive to near Blewbury you can have a go here.
    I have also just bought a foredom micromotor, but we want to keep the flexshaft so both my wife and myself have something to use.
    I have had the foot speed controller microswitch fail twice now, but both times foredom sent me a replacement foc, great customer service.

Thank you Do you know what the benefits of the SR are over the LX? from what I understand the LX is higher torque but lower speed? I am wanting to improve my stone setting using whichever one I go for and the LX seems to mention about that more which is why I am looking at it, but really I have no idea!! haha

I just got this reply from foredom incase it helps anyone else I will put it here!

Hi Charlotte:
    The LX will deliver maximum speed of 5.000 RPM only while the SR delivers 18.000RPM.
    If you only work with the hammer handpiece the LX is the right motor for you also if you want to have a dedicated set-up only for stone setting/hammer applications.
    You can use the hammer handpiece (rated for max speed of 4,500 RPM) with the SR but you will have to very careful not to use it at higher speeds.
    If you use other handpieces like the No. 30, or 20 models for example and need speeds above 5.000 RPM the SR is the right choice.
    Hope this helps.,

Miguel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a proxxon bench drill as I'm a bit dyspraxic and accident prone, and a dremel fortiflex with food pedal. It's all been fine for everything I do, and I love my multichuck!

I started off with a Dremel 3000 and flex shaft and it does do what I need at the moment. Certainly as things progress I can see me replacing it but I currently use it with burrs and for polishing and have no issues. I wouldnt suggest the cordless type as they don't have enough RPM but the corded ones are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by coastjewellery View Post
    I started off with a Dremel 3000 and flex shaft and it does do what I need at the moment. Certainly as things progress I can see me replacing it but I currently use it with burrs and for polishing and have no issues.
    I have a Dremel 3000 as well. Unfortunately it's minimum 10,000 rpm makes it all but useless for many setting tasks so I now keep it for the rough stuff and use a micromotor for most other purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by coastjewellery View Post
    I started off with a Dremel 3000 and flex shaft and it does do what I need at the moment. Certainly as things progress I can see me replacing it but I currently use it with burrs and for polishing and have no issues. I wouldnt suggest the cordless type as they don't have enough RPM but the corded ones are ok.
    I still use a Dremel 3000 too but use it with a silverline flex drive shaft. Much easier and lighter that way.

I only use it for polishing though.