Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dremel recommendations for newbie

Another one here who wouldn't advise a Dremel.
    I bought one as they are cheap and I thought it would do the job.
    They are ok for sanding/polishing but absolutely useless for drilling/burring as they simply don't have the torque needed for slower speeds.

Agree with most peoples opinions on the Dremel.

As first glance they seem the ideal, cost effective solution as opposed to a Micro / pendant motor, but they are really only useful for drilling wood and plastics.

For metal they are pretty pointless and you end up risking damaging your piece. If you were to get one, I'd reserve it for polishing duties only.

Nick

Hi there, is it possible to share more info about a pendant drill, I'm interested in having one but don't know what they do exactly and which one would you recommend? Thanks, Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    Hi there, is it possible to share more info about a pendant drill, I'm interested in having one but don't know what they do exactly and which one would you recommend? Thanks, Jane
    Hi Jane, put in a search for pendants motors , there have been a lot of posts on the forum along the same lines.The Foredom seems to be the motor of choice so you could add that to your search. This was posted a couple of weeks ago http://www.craftsy.com/class/getting...lex-shaft/5085. Also Google and there are lots of videos. If all that fails then there will be someone here to help further

Thank you so much Caroline... this really helps me out big time!!! I really want to invest in good quality equipment if I can manage so that it lasts me and does the job. After reading all the information on this post it seems to be the best way to go. . .I almost bought a Dremel a while back, so glad I waited now. Thank you... much appreciation! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    Thank you so much Caroline... this really helps me out big time!!! I really want to invest in good quality equipment if I can manage so that it lasts me and does the job. After reading all the information on this post it seems to be the best way to go. . .I almost bought a Dremel a while back, so glad I waited now. Thank you... much appreciation! <3
    Glad to be of help. I haven't got one either even though I'm a jeweller of many years, thought I could do without one and times change. This has also been suggested to me as it's more lightweight and easier to handle http://www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co...tor-p-739.html

I love my Foredom, can't compare it to a micro motor as haven't used one but a million times better than the Dremel I started with.

What an angel... thank you Caroline!!!!!!! Really kind of you to share... <3

Thank you!!!... this is so reassuring to hear, gives me the confidence to look into buying one... Thank you!!!

Foredom all the way for me too. I bought mine from Sutton Tools and its worked flawlessly ever since. Highly recommended, and there are loads of videos on the Foredom website and YouTube to look at.

Cheers,

Nick