Thread: ID of heating tray please ?

Default ID of heating tray please ?

Hi
    I'm beginning cuff and bangle making when I get back from hols. Will be copper and silver. I have a soldering tile, however, thinking the following set up looks ideal, but don't know what it's called or what material they're using. Could anyone help please ?

http://40.media.tumblr.com/a91d0eb57...l6ruo1_500.jpg

Looks like a pumice pan.

Thank you very much

Hmmmm ! As ever, not a lot in the UK that I can see, the 6 I've looked at have been US. May try using a baking tin filled with pumice ?

I made my own bench soldering tray from bent up sheet brass and I use these fire bricks on my tray, cut to size with a hacksaw to suit my soldering jobs; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Insulating-F.../dp/B00LWY9IJM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023a- Jims workbench.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	8046 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06 Workbench 2009.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	8047

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 22-08-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Great workstation, well jealous !! Yeah I already have a soldering block which is size of your tile, however, need an annealing pan so that I can heat quite large and long pieces of sheet copper. Why do the US get all the good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by snowdrops View Post
    Great workstation, well jealous !! Yeah I already have a soldering block which is size of your tile, however, need an annealing pan so that I can heat quite large and long pieces of sheet copper. Why do the US get all the good stuff
    When I need to anneal large pieces I just lay a few of the firebricks on my bench. They are each 9 inches x 3 inches so 3 together make a 9 inch square.

Sorry Cooksons, check out HS Walsh as they sell soldering the trays you may like; https://www.hswalsh.com/categories/r...stands-hearths

James

Quote Originally Posted by snowdrops View Post
    This is my rotating hearth made locally by a friend 30+ years ago, I'm sure James with his decades of experience will have a larger soldering area than the one he showed you too and probably better than mine. You really don't need to go to the US to adapt everyday items for use or have something made for you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	8049

I wasn't implying otherwise, I'm sure he does have decades of experience, I just meant that the set up I could see in the pic was one I already had and needed a larger area. As I said above, I may try a large round baking tin and fill it with pumice. Shld do the trick hopefully, I was just liking the initial item I posted. Thanx.