Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner wirewrapping

Thanks for the link, Annie! I think I've had a brief look at that site before, but I'll have a closer one. His style isn't mine, but you're right about learning things.

PS - to post a link, use the button that looks like a globe with a chain link on it. Then it'll ask you to enter the URL and it'll be a live link when you post. Alternatively, type [URL ]http://wire-sculpture.com[/URL ] (removing the extra space before the closing brackets) and it does the same thing.

Some more things: these are brass wire, 0.8 and 0.4mm. With Czech glass beads on the first two and seed beads on the third.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brassdrop1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	233 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	herringbone1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	234 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brassweeblering.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	235

I actually sat down and designed the first one properly before making it, so there are no problems with wrapping bits before I've added the beads to them... Fancy that
    I could probably have done it with a single piece of thick wire if I'd thought of it, but instead the centre divider is a second piece.

The herringbone is a bit messy. The first time round, I accidentally made a twisted herringbone by wrapping the wrong way on the bottom. I didn't notice because I was concentrating on my wire staying on and going round, got to the end, looked at the whole thing and went "That's weird... Oh, it's not supposed to look like that!"
    So I had to unwrap it and do it again.

The third one is interestingly weebly. (That's a technical term). It's one piece of thick wire with a spiral at either end, then the top's wrapped together with thinner wire which goes all the way round with the seed beads on alternating sides.

We use book this as our guide and insperation for all things wire...

All Wired Up: Wire Techniques for the Beadworker and Jewelry Maker Beadwork How-To: Amazon.co.uk: Mark Lareau: Books

It's a great book and has lots of really cool ideas to get you going, well worth a read if not a purchase
    Goodbye

Thanks, Paddy!

That reminds me - must print out the form for joining the local library this week. I also think I'll update my wishlist for Christmas

Heather, have you had a wander round Eni Oken's JewelryLessons.com | Learn how to make your precious jewelry - FREE tutorials, lessons & articles! - I think there are a lot of tutorials there that would be very much your style. Many are free. Her original site Make your own precious jewelry; free lessons and tutorials by Eni Oken - ENIOKEN.COM is also good.

I think you might also enjoy Irina Miech's "Beautiful Wire Jewelry for Beaders", which has a mixture of fine wrapping and more traditional wireworking.

If you want to have a look at the Mark Lareau, you're welcome to borrow mine. I didn't like it at all!

George: It's actually her herringbone tutorial I was using. I came across JewelryLessons from a blog entry listing the top 5 herringbone tutorials. I've downloaded some of the other free ones - haven't got round to trying them all yet, though!

Ooh yes, Irina Miech's book looks very much like something I'd be interested in. And I see she has some Metal Clay for Beaders books too... Thanks!

I'm going to look through the ones I can in a bookshop or library first before buying any - but she's high up the list now