Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting a customers own stones

Default Setting a customers own stones

Just wondering how you all handle this?
    Im currently working on some items with several very large sapphires to be set, no idea how much they are worth as they are the customers own but they look extremely good quality to me.
    So as I was setting the first I suddenly thought what if I chip it
    Do you tell customers that its at their own risk?
    Thankfully the first is set fine but I have several more to do…….

Just one preliminary thought. Did you give the customer any kind of written acknowledgement that you had taken receipt of sapphires from them? In this situation I'd be reluctant to acknowledge I'd received anything other than "blue stones" from them in case the sapphires were not sapphires to begin with and when you hand the completed work back the customer says "These are worthless blue stones. Where are my sapphires?"
    Last edited by Aurarius; 04-05-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Sapphires are quite hard stones Sarah, so unless they have points as in pear shaped or marquise, the risk is remote. You can also make sure that the metal is thin, soft and easy to set.

There is a culture of litigation out there, so it's best not to work outside your comfort zone. That said, a chat with the customer should establish just what the level of risk is.

Regards, Dennis.

I normally say it's at the customer's own risk and explain that stones can break during setting.

I would get then to sign they are aware that the stones are set at there own risk

Thanks folks thats good to know

I think I will have a chat with her before I do any more, she's very nice so I don't think there would be a problem but better safe than sorry.
    Im not *overly* worried about chipping one Dennis, I haven't a sapphire in my bucket of shame yet, mostly garnets and topaz
    These are large oval ones too and Im using 0.4mm fine silver well annealed thanks to your tip many months ago

Aquarius, I did acknowledge they were sapphires but price wise they could still range from £30 to several thousand so Im not overly worried about the acknowledgement of them being sapphires.
    TBH I get the impression she's more concerned about the horse hair as its her Olympic horse thats passed on but at least I can't break that lol.

this made me realise I've never got anything in writing from a customer, but I do have emails stating they are happy to take the risk. It gives me the fear though.

Hello,
    Just seen this and thought I'd add my thoughts.

Today with the way things are with scammers and crooks in general, it is best practice to have a piece of paper signed by you and the customer stating something like:
    I acknowledge receipt of x number of stones, weighing y, of items said to be z.
    The customer accepts that these are left at her own risk for them to be set in the agreed way.

Then you explain that you've never had a problem yet. Don't be defensive, it's just a standard requirement...
    If you're worried, take pictures of the stones for your records and file them away. Imagine the customer bought them on holiday thinking they were sapphires and they turned out to be synthetic, or beryllium treated and you scratch them. You have no way of knowing and you have to look after your interests in a professional way. It may sound over the top, but better safe than sorry.

I don't set stones, only deal in pearls. When drilling for customers it is clear at own risk. I make clear that pearls can crack or nacre chip at the drill hole even with best efforts.
    I just re-strung a bracelet and did a before, during and after pic because the old silk was so stretched that there could be a suspicion of pearls removed (it came out just over 1cm shorter)
    clear statement of risk plus pix at stages (phone would be fine) should suffice. there may be attempts at litigation but judges are not daft and costs can be recovered.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk