Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement stones for Tanzanite

Default Replacement stones for Tanzanite

Hi all,

I need a bit of advice. I got a ring for my birthday which included a single pink diamond and two Tanzanite stones. Unfortunately the diamond stone fell out and was lost so I had it replaced with a cubic zirconia. Now one of the Tanzanite stones has fallen out and I need to replace it. I'm not exactly flush with cash and I don't want to spend a fortune in case I lose another stone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

If you're wanting to replace it with a CZ too, then
    http://diamondcz.co.uk/gem.php5?leve...hird=Tanzanite
    However, the real thing isn't all that expensive in smaller sizes
    http://www.wardgemstones.com/tanzanite-stones.html

However, if 2 stones have fallen out already then it's quite likely the 3rd will too.

That's great, thank you. I thought replacing the stones with the original tanzanite would be very expensive but I can afford that if I do lose another one.

Are you wearing it all the time? It might be worth trying to work out why the stones are falling out, so you can prevent it happening again.

Sarah

My thinking is the same as Sarah's, why have you lost the two stones?? You are likely to lose the third given the odds and if the problem hasn't been corrected you could go on to lose the replacements too!!

Just had a look at Wards new website, it doesnt show if they are faceted or cabs. Going up to the IJL soon and the second day we are visiting Hatton Gardens. Always spend more than we can really afford, but hey ho it has to be done once in a while. I have just applied for a Trade Account but dont know what the terms of trading are, we probably wont be able to get one because we dont buy enough, but it would be nice to get 50% off some of the more costly stones.
    Last edited by Patstone; 21-08-2015 at 06:31 AM.

No, but a) if you look at the drop-down list on shape it allows you to select cabochons (6 at the moment) and b) the ones that are cabochons state they are cabochons...

Not on the link you put earlier it doesn't. All it says is the size and price, not even a PIC of it. Didn't look at the drop down list. Just had another look and there are no pics or description.
    Last edited by Patstone; 21-08-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Conventional claw settings are not that resistant and doing household chores, gardening or mucking out will soon loosen stones.

Our much missed Murano Silver once wrote: 'You can love your ring to death'. She meant by never taking it off and that still chimes with me. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Not on the link you put earlier it doesn't. All it says is the size and price, not even a PIC of it. Didn't look at the drop down list. Just had another look and there are no pics or description.
    Yes, it really does. There are something like 200 tanz listed there. I never said anything about pictures and I'm not here to explain or defend Ward's website.

http://www.wardgemstones.com/3-5mm-c...tanzanite.html
    3.5mm cabochon tanzanite seems a pretty definite description, albeit lacking in much detail on quality.

Dennis' point on claw settings is spot on - although it applies to all settings to a greater or lesser extent. Grain are usually vulnerable more to wear than snagging, claw get both.