Thread: New to this!

Default New to this!

Hi
    I just finished this and thought I'd post a pic, I'm quite happy as a first attempt at tube setting, but I know it needs further work :/ please be kind to me

Lorry
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	8060

Yes that's great and one step leads to another.

My only comment would be, that most pieces have an optimum position, but this pendant will rotate on its chain and also tend to migrate along it, so next time you might very well decide to fix it in with a bail or a jump ring.

A loop of this thin chain could still be passed through the ring and then the chain through the loop, creating a clove hitch. Unless of course you intended to leave it free in the first place.

Thank you for showing us your work. Dennis.

I think its good too, and I would agree with Dennis that really it could do with something to keep it from turning on the chain, but for me its a design thing more than anything else, as I feel that it wouldnt lie flat, it would try to turn around and then all you would see was the back, plus it may not be comfortable to wear. Saying that its different, and another way that you could (in my opinion, for what thats worth) is to make a chain yourself, with links big enough to take the pendant and thread it through one of the links.

I love the simplicity and clean lines, and it looks very neatly executed - great job for a first! What is the stone?

Another variation that would get over the issue Patstone raises (to keep it lying flat and facing the right way) might be something like this below, though of course it would then be permanently attached to that chain and no longer free to move on it. Dennis' idea, if I understand it right, of a separate little piece of chain looped into a clove hitch, or just a single jump ring to thread the chain through, may be better:

Name:	chain.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	8061

Alan

No my simplest solution is to put a loop of chain through the ring and then pull the ends of the chain through the loop.

I hope you will not be intimidated by all this discussion, but it is working out the detail and going one better that is at the heart of designing something. Dennis.

I like Alans idea too, a bit out of the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    No my simplest solution is to put a loop of chain through the ring and then pull the ends of the chain through the loop.
    Aha - I see - not a separate piece of chain, but simply looping the chain on itself.
    I like the name given here - though maybe invalidates it as a Valentine's gift...

Name:	loop.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	8063

Thank you for all your comments. My original design was for it to be free with a stone at either side, so it wouldn't matter if it rotated, but....I messed up the other stone and had to file off the setting. I did think it needed a bail, but couldn't solder one as I'd set the other stone.

I really like Dennis' idea about looping a chain though, as it's still free then but won't turn as easily.
    Thanks again
    Lorry

Ps the stone is a sky blue topaz, fairly cheap from cooksons!