Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F.A.O Steve - fake hallmark?!!

Default F.A.O Steve - fake hallmark?!!

Had contact with someone who has discovered a problem with their engagement ring purchased from another jeweller (one with good reviews apparently,but has recently changed business name).

The ring was sold as 18ct gold with .50ct diamond. The gold is turning silver on the outside so the owner took it to a high street jeweller who took a look and tested the diamond and informed the owner it is not infact a diamond. A 'certificate' of sorts, stating it was a diamond, the carat etc was given to the fiancé at sale.

The ring is hallmarked, with a BAO anchor. I'd find it highly unlikely for them to have made this mistake.

What does the lady need to do and what is likely to happen here? I have advised contacting BAO and others have suggested trading standards.

so what's the deal with this? She's rather upset,obvioulsy!
    Last edited by silverlining; 23-08-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Yes, that would be very upsetting.

If she does not already have it, she should obtain a written valuation from an independent valuer.

Her next call would be to the seller asking for a refund, but taking care not to relinquish any paperwork.

If it was paid for by credit card and presumably cost more than£100, the credit card company should be involved next.

Finally, trading standards will be concerned with a false description, as will the assay office. Dennis

Shockingly it cost £1500, 5 years ago!

Straight to trading standards. who will obtain a full proper evaluation of the piece. Why should she pay for this when TS will want their own assay and evaluation anyway
    Not just a false description but possible criminal fraud (obtaining by deception). Then sue in civil court after conviction to get money back
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I'm not sure the assay office will care much if the diamond is real or fake, but they would presumably be interested in the assay of the metal if you suspect it's not as marked.

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    I'm not sure the assay office will care much if the diamond is real or fake, but they would presumably be interested in the assay of the metal if you suspect it's not as marked.
    Obviously, it's just the state of the 'gold' that led to the jewellers testing the diamond and obviously with the diamond testing as fake it brings the 'gold' that's turned silver into greater question.

I have asked to ensure her fiance has the receipt etc and most definitely bought it from the retailer though, just in case he has actually fobbed her off. The ring was allegedly bought from a 'diamond expert' [redacted - sorry] whereas tbh I was expecting it to be from somewhere smaller and unheard of!
    Last edited by ps_bond; 23-08-2015 at 08:35 PM.

That said,if he'd have fobbed her off that wouldn't explain the hallmark,would it!

Can I caution against naming the probable vendor - any error and there is the possibility of legal action arising. I have worked out who is being referred to using google, so it's not really obfuscated. For the time being I'll take the reference out as a precaution. Still very interested to hear how things go, but tread lightly

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Can I caution against naming the probable vendor - any error and there is the possibility of legal action arising. I have worked out who is being referred to using google, so it's not really obfuscated. For the time being I'll take the reference out as a precaution. Still very interested to hear how things go, but tread lightly
    No problem. I was a bit wary of it but wanted to be able to give a roundabout way because I was quite surprised by it tbh and it made it more difficult to believe. It will certainly be interesting to see how it goes though.

so the question being asked now, ignoring the diamond issue, is whether there is anything at all that can cause gold to progressively turn silver. I've heard mercury can temporarily cause a silver colour. The jewellers it was taken too were quite shocked,said they'd never seen this happen before and due to the state of it asked her if they could test the diamond aswell.

Could it really be possible for both something happened to the gold (mercury?!) and the diamond tester have been wrong?

Without wondering which well known company, This would make sense if an actual bona fide ring had been substituted by a crooked staff member who pocketed the proceeds off the books?
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk