Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver content and Hallmarking

I thought hallmarking was to ensure that sterling silver, fine silver and gold were indeed precious metals, not for instance copper with a small bit of precious metal on in the shape of a 1.5g gold ball, which is tiny. So in this case it would have to be the copper that has the hallmark on as the gold ball is too small and it would have to be stamped on the front face. Perhaps the responsibility should be on the maker to weigh the silver/gold content and send it off to be hallmarked if over weight. Then you have scales etc maybe not being accurate etc.
    There have been a few bits that I have sold that have copper added to it to complete a design which have less than the 7.78 grms of silver but would have been over that amount with the copper added. I weigh all my silver stuff as I make it, before I add the copper not realizing that the copper was part of the scenario. I had better check the stock too then I suppose, to make sure that it complies.
    I can understand that it is difficult to judge the silver content of an item, but to the people buying surely it isnt a guarantee of silver content, just that it has "some" silver in it.
    Last edited by Patstone; 20-08-2015 at 05:41 AM.

aurarius/Miz george...I did say mixed metal is complicated!! I don't think I explained it too well, so apologies for that! Let me try again...

The scenario with the silver item accented with the dot of gold - the gold weighing less than 1 gram and the total weight of the item weighing less than 7.78g. What I meant when I said there was no hallmarking requirement was that it can be sold as silver without the need for hallmarking as it's below the minimum weight. However, if you want to describe it as silver AND gold, then it will need to be hallmarked because, as you rightly point out, the total weight of the article is greater than 1g and so it falls into mixed metal regs for gold. It will receive the full mark for silver and the part mark for gold.

I'm sorry and I hope that's a bit clearer?

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Cost of hallmarking would be a valid deduction in your income tax return though in your accounts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    pearlescence...really?? Please let me have all the details!!!
    Anything like that can be deducted. If you spend £3000 on silver and make items which you sell for £6000 then the £3000 you paid for bullion is tax deductible. You only pay tax on profits, not turnover.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    I'm sorry and I hope that's a bit clearer?
    Yes, thanks for that, Steve.

Yes Steve, it's part of the cost of producing the item legally therefore it is an expense of manufacture.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk