Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Silver clay disaster! Please help!

I think the biggest problem with the old style PMC was that as fine silver it wears too fast, especially for everyday wear which is what most people want with the fingerprint jewellery. I'm guessing that the newer sterling PMC gets around this issue but whilst I really like PMC when it's been used creatively, it just doesn't float my boat any more as a material to work with. I guess I just like cutting and hitting stuff now!

Hi Medusa,

By it's nature fine silver whether its derived from PMC/Art Clay or traditional sheet metal or wire, will always be softer than Sterling silver as it doesn't contain the copper... which is what makes Sterling silver more durable.

All those items pictured in my previous post were made from PMC over 5 years ago.. I wear them regularly and because of their thickness and the bigger and bolder textures that I use, they wear very well.

For me with PMC, the key thing is understanding the material I'm working with, i.e. understanding its limitations and then designing/creating work to take those limitations into account as well as take advantage of its creative possibilities.

There are jewellery artists working out there using PMC/Art Clay creating, durable pieces of wearable art of jaw-dropping intricacy and beauty (some I've mentioned above in a previous post) that go beyond fingerprint jewellery, like Anna Mazoń (http://drakonaria.com) - it's shame we don't get to see more of this type of wearable art featured.

(No offence to those who make fingerprint jewellery, which provides great joy to people who create it and those who receive it)

T
    Quote Originally Posted by vsilvered View Post

There are jewellery artists working out there using PMC/Art Clay creating, durable pieces of wearable art of jaw-dropping intricacy and beauty (some I've mentioned above in a previous post) that go beyond fingerprint jewellery, like Anna Mazoń (http://drakonaria.com) - it's shame we don't get to see more of this type of wearable art featured.

(No offence to those who make fingerprint jewellery, which provides great joy to people who create it and those who receive it)
    Coincidentally my first experience with PMC was when I booked a weekend course with Anna Mazoń in Belgium. I did it just for fun - but actually the course gave me a new appreciation for metal clay. I know it seems perhaps PMC is frowned upon by some, but there are some beautiful and amazing pieces of jewellery being created this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    there are some beautiful and amazing pieces of jewellery being created this way.
    I don't think that was ever in doubt Sandra. It's just that the process doesn't turn me on and I guess there are others like me. Dennis.