Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GRS Benchmate

Default GRS Benchmate

Hi I'm hoping with the imminent arrival of the new GRS system, that someone will be upgrading and therefore looking to sell their old one. If anyone is considering parting with theirs, please contact me, many thanks!
    Last edited by sallydavies276; 12-08-2015 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Adding tags

I've got to admit, I can't quite see the point in upgrading mine. I don't use it under the scope (I use a microblock then), so the height adjustment doesn't make any difference (and I have a multi-level plate); the ring clamp is a subtle improvement, but again not really enough to warrant paying out for a new one... I can think of other tools that'd be a better use of the money for me. Each to their own though - and I'm sure GRS would rather we all bought the new one!

There's one for sale on Ebay at £140

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    There's one for sale on Ebay at £140
    That Ebay seller is either a bit dim or is not giving the real reason why s/he's selling. The only difference between the left-hand and the right-hand version is the bolt-on hand rest, which can be had for £13 in either left or right versions as an optional extra. Most people don't use the hand rest anyway as it tends to get in the way.
    ETA: Just for the record, there is one other difference if you buy the right-hand version and discover you need the other or vice versa: you will have to have the logo on the ring clamp collar facing the back rather than towards you because the two holes on either side have different threads. Most people can probably live with that.
    Last edited by Aurarius; 13-08-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Thank you all, I have bid and am keeping everything crossed it doesn't go too high! I think it's worth a punt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had one for about 5 years and although fixed on my bench I have used it about half a dozen times.

I use mine all the time and love it!

I don't do a lot of stone setting but when I do, out comes my trusty GRS. Why do others not use theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I don't do a lot of stone setting but when I do, out comes my trusty GRS. Why do others not use theirs?
    Either because they don't do a lot of setting or they're happy to get by using a dopstick for most purposes, I'd imagine.
    Being somewhat defective in the arm department and needing all the help I can get with work holding, I find the Benchmate system a godsend.

I dont use my benchpeg much either. I think that it was probably because when I went to the 10 week college course, they didnt have a benchpeg, you just worked on your desk, so I didnt have one to make stuff with. When I set up first I didnt have one, so got used to not using one from the start.