Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm Back! Well Nearly...

Lovely to see you back SM and that is lovely work!!

It's also generated some conversation (of little apparent relevance for me, but of great interest none-the-less),.......that's what I love about forums.....the tangents just keep broadening your knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    It is - the point would bother me on the mat though, despite it being a blunt practice blade. How did you shape the habaki to the blade?
    Peter, I take your "point" if you'll pardon the pun. I did cross my mind that it could be a bit dicey in some circumstances, but apparently it's the way of things in the particular branch of martial arts the client is involved in and she seems well pleased with it so I presume all is in order. As far as the matching habaki to the blade, no real secret beyond being very careful with the files and doing lots of test fits. I do have a further idea that I might try if do another one but I won't go into that now as it might not work!

S.M.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/dtrpp

Twitter: @DTRMetalArt

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Lovely to see you back SM and that is lovely work!!

It's also generated some conversation (of little apparent relevance for me, but of great interest none-the-less),.......that's what I love about forums.....the tangents just keep broadening your knowledge

Thanks Tabby, nice to be back.

Quite right, one should never knock a good tangent. Found that out at Uni when studying engine simulation. Ended up finding one of the bits of info I needed while reading about the workings of musical instruments!

S.M.

News Flash! Looks like I might be getting to employ people's kind words of advice and encouragement sooner than I thought. After a whole three days "in the wild" the tanto has generated another order!

S.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirring Moose View Post
    News Flash! Looks like I might be getting to employ people's kind words of advice and encouragement sooner than I thought. After a whole three days "in the wild" the tanto has generated another order!

S.M.
    Congratulations SM......looking forwards to seeing V.2

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Honoki is the traditional wood - it's one of the magnolia family and, as you say, a sod to source over here. A reasonable substitute is tulipwood - liriodendron tulipifera. Some sawmills carry it; it's a close, straight grain with very low tannin content (as opposed to oak - which should never be used as a sheath for steel due to the formation of iron tannate). Ford Hallam's site, followingtheironbrush.org has a lot of relevant info there.

A few years each of judo, aikido, ju jitsu, aikido again and just recently restarted ju jitsu after a lengthy absence. I don't bounce quite as well as I used to
    Have followed your tip re: the tulipwood. Found a fairly local timber merchant who stocks it so will be going to pay them a visit fairly shortly. Will keep you posted on how it all works out. Thanks again for the advice.

S.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Congratulations SM......looking forwards to seeing V.2
    Yes - congrats - and I'm another one who's looking forward to the next instalment!