Thread: Stretch Bracelet Help

Default Stretch Bracelet Help

I need some assistance!
    I rarely do beaded items but I have been contacted by a customer whom has asked me to create her a specific beaded bracelet.
    I'm new to stretch bracelets and finding a lot of conflicting information on the Internet.

Current information/materials I have:
    1.0 stretch thread
    8mm beads
    She had measured her wrist size and is 14cm (she is very small) and she requires a snug fit.

On one site I'm told to measure out an additional 2cm of beads, another says 0.25" extra, one says 2.5cm extra.

I dont want to disappoint and she's been very patient while I've sourced the beads but can anyone with experience please tell me their opinion on this one.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

hello and welcome actively to the forum Belasta

you will need additional length to prevent overstretching when moving over the hand to fit on the wrist. You can see it as it develops once you get past 14cm. Add an additional 4 beads to give you 2.4cm, or just two for 1.6cm - I would opt for two more beads.

However, Caveat Exemplar - If it is too tight, there will be an issue of when wearing at night or hot environment where blood comes to the surface of the skin and risk potential issues with it becoming overly tight, even for a stretch bracelet . A snug fit doesn't have to be tight. I would also encourage a rethink about disappointing someone - I think you have to ensure that you manage to keep the customer happy, but also realistic.
    Last edited by Wallace; 09-08-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: grammar

Thank you so much Wallace.
    If it had been an average sized wrist, I could have trialled it on myself but because she is so small, I was concerned Incase I made this too small or too large but your explaination of possible night wearing is very helpful. I never even thought of that issue.

Many thanks and hopefully will be able to make something she is happy with

You can work out the extra...add two halves of the size of whatever beads you are using..so 10mm beads you'd add a cm and a smidge for ease.Stretch out the cord a few times before threading it. If you visualise it the cord steps out from the wrist by the radius of the beads (twice as there are two sides as it were). If you're not sure of the fit have a play...use a loo roll or something like that of the right diameter..
    You want the cord to be under very very slight tension when you tie it so that it doesn't go sloppy in wear.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk