Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get Gold Flakes from a bar?

Default How to get Gold Flakes from a bar?

Hi guys, bit of a strange one! I just can't think how to get gold flakes or shavings from a bar of gold? Bit of a strange request from a customer at work and the master goldsmith is ill, just can't think off the top of my head how to do it! Any tools you recommend?

Scraper? Graver?
    What size?

you can buy gold flakes on ebay.

Might be a silly question but what do you need gold flakes for? I have been a master goldsmith for 46 years and have never used gold flakes on a job. When I Googled the uses of gold flakes, most were for cooking, perhaps whatever job you need to complete could be achieved with these from Amazon; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edible-Genui.../dp/B004CJSD54.

James

All I could think of was assay.

Thanks for the replies guys, a customer has requested them as far as I am aware they are to go into a small glass vial? so I don't think filings would get the required affect and just couldn't think, I was thinking some sort of graver if anyone has any ideas of specific tools let me know!

A half round scorper could be used to cut off gold curls, as I assume that the customer wants something visible.

If you have a grinder in your workshop you could make a draw scraper from an old file tang. If you are interested in making one of these, I would suggest making one like this one I made for box corners, but instead of a cutting point make the cutting point half round.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12a file tang scorer sheet.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	8012

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 10-08-2015 at 10:12 AM.

First of all I apologise for my facetious remark above, born of frustration. Now I know it is for display in a bottle, I can think of two ways to get value for money :

1. If you have a mill, roll down 1mm round wire as thinly as possible. Then snip off short lengths and turn them into small rolls with tweezers. a collection of these will give plenty of volume.

2. Failing that get some gold foil and cut it into 2.5mm strips with scissors. Then proceed as above. The gold will crinkle a bit and be quite reflective. Dennis.

Perfect! Some great ideas thanks so much! Will let you know how I get on!