Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparing an item for hallmarking

Default Preparing an item for hallmarking

How do you prepare an odd-shaped item to take a hallmark? I'm thinking particularly of pieces that have no obvious flat surface or place where the hallmark might naturally fit - so, for example, this bangle made from twisted square wire (approx 3mm). Would you file/polish out a small "panel" to make a place for it, or would you send it as is and let the assay office stamp/laser the marks wherever they thought suitable/possible?
    Alan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1220769.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	8039

of course we always like to see a blank panel as it makes our life very easy, but we can also mark very small as well, especially by laser, so if you don't want to give us a blank panel, we should be able to get the mark on somewhere for you!

Thanks for the quick reply, Steve - I thought I'd probably do the blank panel thing, so if that's preferable for you that's the answer.

I'm trying to stockpile some basic items, so that when I register and send my first packet off to you it'll work out better value per item than just sending a handful!

looking forward to seeing them...and thanks for the blank panel the guys will love you for it!

I recall from my visit that what they all hate are every item in its own plastic bag because it can be such a fiddle to take them out and put them back. I suggested a box with sections and got happy puppy dog eyes
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Tell me about it! Got a job in of assembling some components with the welder, every little thing was packaged in 20mm square grip tops. A few survived...

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    A few survived...
    Was that a few of the bags or a few of the components?

Debatable. The components were treated to being blasted with fiery laser death.

Alan, I'm not sure where you get your items marked, but whenever I've had an odd shaped item, I usually ring the assay office and ask their advice. However, I would always mark the piece where I would like the hallmark. On the odd occasion where they haven't put it where I marked it, I send it back and they redo it. (This has been for a tube clasp, where I'd like the mark in the middle of it, rather to one side). They have always been really helpful. I did the bag thing once, got charged more for it and now just bung the lot into a lot of bubble wrap to keep it safe, then into a box.
    Jules

Thanks, Jules - I haven't actually registered yet for hallmarking, but am trying to get everything clear in my mind while building up a bit of a stockpile before actually registering and sending off my first batch. I'm on a pretty tight budget at present, so want to make sure I don't make any mistakes that would lead to unnecessary extra costs. I will be using the London Office, so am finding it very useful having SteveLAO posting here!
    Alan