Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: laminating gold and silver?

Well I just did a mock up using copper. I laminated 1mm of copper onto some silver wire and rolled it down to well over 4x its length and the copper is clear and bright. I used various abrasives going through the grades from very coarse to fine and still no rub through.

I have made the purchase, opting for the 18ct rather than 14ct for a better colour. I will post pics if it works out ok!

Well done Liz, it looks as if you are on your way now. Regards, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    Caroline, do you mean sweat silver solder onto the back of the gold? Because I'm laminating both sides I'm anxious about it all coming apart. Plus there is having to solder the two ends together. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!
    Don't know if you still need me to answer this as you seems to have tackled it but yes that's what I meant!

Looking forward to the pics Liz.

Thanks both.

I have my gold now. I've glued it to the silver before cutting the diagonal (in my mock up rolling the copper raised as it was on the silver made the rolling process slightly wonky so I'm soldering 1mm silver as well so the surface is completely flat for rolling) probably on wednesday

Does anyone have any thoughts on if I ought to use enamelling solder instead of hard solder for the laminating? My thoughts are that as I'll need to get the bangle really hot for the gold solder to flow when I join the ends (I can't tell if the small panel I have is medium easy or hard, though I have a small amount of what I know for sure is 18k easy wire, I'm just not sure if it's enough for the job). I'm hoping the repeated rolling and annealing will have created a really perfect bond by the time I come to join the ends, but don't want it going Pete Tong on the final stage.