Thread: The Art Of Soldering.

Default The Art Of Soldering.

On a recent visit to Cookson Hatton Garden, my eye was caught by the book ‘Soldering for Jewellery Makers: Techniques And Projects’, by Wing Mun Devenney, so I thought you might like a brief review.

It starts rather ominously with a publisher’s disclaimer, that if you cause injury when using this book, they won’t be held responsible. Quite appropriate in this age of litigation.

Then there is a brief history of soldering and an extensive gallery of complicated pieces, with a description of how they were constructed. As there is only one photograph of each I sometimes found it difficult to follow what was going on, but it is still unusual to have this shared in a book.

Next, health and safety, followed by a description of torches, flames, other devices, solders, fluxes, pickling, tools and techniques. Surprisingly, little time is spent on soldering with paste.

There is also some guidance on soldering the more exotic precious metals, cleaning up, polishing and finally a number of projects so that you can put the techniques into practice.

Would I recommend this book? Well as the author states, we all have our preferred methods and in some cases she omits what I would consider worth knowing. In other examples I was unable to understand her instructions that well. Even so, all but the most senior of us would be bound to learn something of value.

If you are on a budget, nearly new copy won’t break the bank. Dennis.

Just had a quick skim on Amazon - there's no mention of the use of oxygen concentrators in the section on torches, only bottled gas; the comments on the weakness of PUK/laser joints is inaccurate. A good full-fusion weld - with proper preparation of the weld site - is as strong as the parent metal (by definition) but you can end up with some localised brittleness due to HAZ, same as any other weld.

£7.36 + £2.80 for a new copy on Amazon, or £13.48 for the full price one.

I have been using the little torch for a few months using an Oxygen Concentrator together with the various solder pastes and found for me the ideal way to solder. Things seem to stay put and there seems to be greater control using this great torch. I would recommend to anyone!