Thread: A blast from the past

Default A blast from the past

Here's something that might interest some of you. I was round at my aged parents' house today and asked to see a couple of rings that my mother keeps tucked away in a box. (I wanted to have a look at the stone settings.) Also in the box was this - I knew about it but didn't know where it had got to. It is a gold nugget found in Australia by my one of my great grandfathers some time in the second half of the 19th century during one of the gold rushes. I don't know the full story and must find out a bit more about it... The nugget weighs a little over 4 grams, including a few grains of rock/sand still embedded. The brooch is a simple hollow bar, not hallmarked but I assume it's gold, no idea what carat - is there a simple way to tell without sending it off to be assayed?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nugget01a.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	8004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nugget02a.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	8005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nugget03a.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	8006

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    Here's something that might interest some of you. I was round at my aged parents' house today and asked to see a couple of rings that my mother keeps tucked away in a box. (I wanted to have a look at the stone settings.) Also in the box was this - I knew about it but didn't know where it had got to. It is a gold nugget found in Australia by my one of my great grandfathers some time in the second half of the 19th century during one of the gold rushes. I don't know the full story and must find out a bit more about it... The nugget weighs a little over 4 grams, including a few grains of rock/sand still embedded. The brooch is a simple hollow bar, not hallmarked but I assume it's gold, no idea what carat - is there a simple way to tell without sending it off to be assayed?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nugget01a.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	8004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nugget02a.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	8005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nugget03a.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	8006
    Measuring the Specific gravity is the simplest - but you'll have isolate the nugget from any findings or you'll be measuring the average SG. Naturally occurring nuggets tend to be high purity, but you'll need to be precise given it's small size. Practice on a material of 'known' SG such as a sterling silver item. Best of luck.

You kinda (sorry for the terrible English) get used to the look of different golds...(I know that's not much help),....so my suggestion would be to lightly buff a discreet area.....removes any discolouration/plating....given the provenance, I wouldn't expect the latter.....compare the exposed metal to some 9/18/22ct gold.....it will give you an idea.....but the only real way to be sure is to have it assayed

Edited, to clarify that I was referring to the findings, not the nugget
    Last edited by Tabby66; 05-08-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    You kinda (sorry for the terrible English) get used to the look of different golds...(I know that's not much help)
    Actually that might be a help - it's clearly a slightly different colour from the nugget itself - though it would probably be easiest for me to find an experienced jeweller and ask for an opinion on it rather than trying to guess at it myself. But it doesn't much matter, as I expect it'll be passed on to someone in the family who'll want to keep it for sentimental reasons rather than gold value - I was just curious.

ajda, don't know where you're from, but are you near or in London? If so, if you want to pop it in to me I'll happily have a look at it for you?

It was a stupid question so have deleted but can't if you get what I mean
    Last edited by CJ57; 06-08-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    ajda, don't know where you're from, but are you near or in London? If so, if you want to pop it in to me I'll happily have a look at it for you?
    Very kind offer, thanks, Steve. Unfortunately I'm about as far west from London as you can go without falling into the Atlantic, at the bottom left-hand corner of Wales. However, when I eventually get around to registering for hallmarking it will be with your office, and then I hope to visit in person. Perhaps I could contact you in advance of coming and you might be able to have a look at it?
    Alan

I would happily have a look at it with you. Part of your registration process is a tour of the hall and the assay office, so if you stick it in your pocket then we can check it out!