Thread: Engraving metal?

Default Engraving metal?

Hello, I wonder if you could advise what you think the best engraving tool is for metal? I was thinking of learning to engrave letters and also some simple designs. I've read mixed reviews about the Dremel engraves - some people advising it's best to get the 'standard' Dremel and just use their engraving attachment.
    What do you think?
    Many thanks.

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

what metal? They dramatically differ in hardness and ductility.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Engraving is usually regarded (by engravers) as the removal of metal with a single-point cutting tool - a graver or a scorper, depending on shape. If you want to do lettering then a 2.5mm square graver is a good start point, but it's not the easiest thing to learn solo.
    The Dremel engraver IIRC is a stippling tool; any rotary tool use isn't really regarded as engraving (although they do get used for background removal, that kind of thing).
    (Caveat - yes, I know some of the pantograph engravers use rotary cutters )

All the methods mentioned by Peter above require application and practice. For the lettering with gravers you really need to go on a course and then continue to use them on your own several times a week.

The Dremel engraver is no easy fix, because it is not well balanced and once turned on, the vibrations tend to overwhelm your hand movements.

The simplest lettering for beginners is probably stamping, if you can teach yourself spacing and alignment. Dennis.

Peter is correct and as Dennis says learning to engrave will take some tuition and a lot of practice, but if you do learn to engrave the traditional way, learning how to cut with a graver and scorper will be useful for many other jobs when making in metals. Enamellers use gravers and scorpers, stone setters use scorpers, those who carve metal sometimes use gravers and scorpers. I have even used a scorper when carving waxes for casting and also when cleaning up a casting. I have found being able to use gravers and scorpers to have been a a tremendous use when creating objects, especially crests. Most mechanically cut engraving will require templates or a computer controlling the cut shapes.

James

If you do go down the route of using a graver, get a leather sandbag and a copper sheet to practice on. There are books that can give good info on engraving, such as this one which I started with; http://www.cooksongold.com/Books/Eng...prcode-999-AMP

These were a couple of my copper practice plates way back when I was an apprentice;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	195a engraving plates.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	7998

James

I love the little guy at the bottom of that top sheet, James!

Quote Originally Posted by jayneharrison View Post
    I love the little guy at the bottom of that top sheet, James!
    I think that was Popeye. I got fed up with engraving lettering and engraved some pictures on some of my copper practice sheets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	133 Puma engraving by Jim1967.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	8001 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	134 engraving by Jim1970.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	8002

James