Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition August 2015 – Summer Holidays

Some really fab entries.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    ??? You can see the size compared to my hand.
    but you could have reallllllly really teeny tiny hands! Or great big ones!

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    but you could have reallllllly really teeny tiny hands! Or great big ones!
    I was thinking it must be a case of huge hands or super-dense silver... until I realised that 156g was the standard weight of an actual cricket ball.

Your great-nephew (?) is a lucky boy, by the way.

Alan

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

I'm not sure about this great-nephew stuff, or is it grand-nephew? But then what is your grandfather's nephew called? Confused. You are quite right that 156g is the weight of a standard cricket ball, but I s'pose i could have made it out of solid Osmium, or i am the great, great nephew of the giant in Jack & the Beanstalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Having been last month's lucky winner, I wasn't sure I should be competing at all this time, but am determined to use every month's theme as an inspiration for something. I'm really trying to concentrate on jewellery... so here's another piece of unwearable art!

The palms (made from Argentium 960, coiled wire and very thin sheet) are each about 30mm tall and the fused glass disc (made from Bullseye frit) is about 100mm across. The hammock is a snippet of silk wedding veil. Aesthetically, I think the island stands up a bit too high, so I might try to slice a section off the bottom of it. The "sand" is fine borosilicate glass frit - I did collect proper sand from the beach for the purpose, but was concerned that the salts in it might bother the silver, even if rinsed well, so went for ground glass instead. The starfish is thin copper sheet, recycled from an old draught excluder strip for a door. I did make a miniature bottle from clear borosilicate glass to put a message in, but the scale was all wrong so I left it out. And I thought about making a pile of discs and a record player - or at least a radio - but I'd run out of oomph by then...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isl03.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	8053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isl03a.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	8054

OMG, I love that Ajda. Superb!

I think that's a great fun piece Alan!!

Hi everyone,

There's only a few days left to go in this month's Summer Holidays themed competition - thanks to all who have entered so far!

...and if you haven't submitted your entry yet, hurry as the competition ends on Monday!

Good luck everyone

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

wow, what amazing entries!

here is my attempt at bringing some summer holiday reminders to the fold.

An upset ice-cream cone, melting and with sprinkles. The stones set into the Mabe pearl are done so without glue. It was more of a proof of concept piece and I learned so much setting stones into a pearl! Taking off a few nacre layers and distressing the pearl felt like a bad thing to do, but it seemed worth the risk.

I remember many a summer holiday losing my ice-cream.

Attachment 8064

Great idea and a nice taste of summer! Does the ice-cream top with stone-set pearl come off, or do those photos show it before being permanently fixed in place? I love the idea of a little ice-cream cone canister to keep your poison in!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2429.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	8065

Love the entries so far.

I'm entering this enamel and silver ring which is inspired by the cow parsley which lines the lane on one of my favourite walks.