Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition August 2015 – Summer Holidays

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by mikethejeweller View Post
    Thanks Wallace, means a lot coming from you, yes we have a small shop in the heart of the Welsh valleys with 3 in site workbenches. We are looking to give the shop area a little revamp as its starting to look a bit dated, can be hard trying to keep a nice tidy and clean shop when two of the benches are in the shop area �� but a lot of the customers like the fact they can see us working away at the benches when they come in. Thanks again Mike

sounds fantastic - I know how it is when my friends pop over and say oh, it looks like a proper job! lol Love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by mikethejeweller View Post
    You'll have to share with us how you managed to flush set those stones into that pearl without any adhesive ������
    I used the same method for normal flush setting, only fractionally smaller. I took off a couple of layers in some parts to help with the melting ice-cream look. The fact that they are slightly smaller than the setting seemed to work. the pearl has been bounced off my bench, onto a lemel tray, bounced onto a steel block and still survived. I thought it would all crumble, but hope that it is the forgiving shape of the Mabe that does it. I am not sure it would work on a fully round one. The arc is different on the Mabe to that of a round. I did spy a ??biwah in my stock and will see if I can pop one in there.

This was just proof of concept though. Over time those stones will come out - they are only there because the nacre is, at the moment stable enough that they stay in place. I should imagine, although it goes against my chagrin, that a little bit of epoxy would be the best way and use semi-precious rather than precious stones. (or not!) Being 99% self taught on the flush settings, I thought I would have a go as I often stay safe!

The only thing I would change in all that I could, would be to have been an apprentice to a goldsmith. At 50, the funds and time are no longer an option! lol

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    Metalsmith - I definitely see the Eiffel tower in your entry - took me back to the the last time I was in Paris, nearly 40 years ago and I walked up the steps up the Eiffel tower because my OH was afraid of heights and refused to get in the lift!

Sandra - another lovely entry. I particularly like the swirls you've created to hold in the sea glass in the stegosaurus texture. It may not match up to the skills of some of the very very talented jewellers there are on the forum, but it's perfect of the theme and going to be 100% up there for magical memories in 50 years time, trust me.

Susie
    Thanks for commenting Tabby, Ajda, Susie - hope you don't think it too rude not to respond sooner - I was away to work the very next morning after posting then straight on to France after a rendez-vous with the rest of the family. As well as working FT recently I have been busting a gut doing some un-DIY before I left so the contractors could come in and do the constructive side of things. It was difficult to find time to make anything! Turns out that I was so dog-tired even just trying to take the photo and write the post was a bit much - I got my daughter's age wrong - she's 10... it is my eldest boy is 12. Anyhow on the morning of departure, I gave her it and she loved it and straight away proclaimed it's the Eiffel Tower, so not too abstract. Needless to say I was wasting my time with the DIY - on my return the contractors haven't even started!! Should have done more jewellery work instead!

On my family holidays as a young teenager we always went to Scotland, mostly to the Isle of Skye and I have really fond memories of walking out and about on the island.
    I discovered the art of Celtic knotwork one holiday and my parents bought me some of Aidan Meehans books after some nagging, I think - it was 20 odd years ago!

I taught myself to draw them while looking out over the headland by the village of Kilmaluag. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.68...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Ever since I've been captivated by the simplistic complexity of them so when I started learning silver-smithing I based my very first project around knotwork concepts and I've incorporated them into more than a few others since.

As my most recent piece does this as well I thought it would be one to submit for this months competition.

I had a few ups and downs making it, almost everything that could go wrong did!

It's an etched and textured knotwork broach and I hope you like it.

Dave.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broachonwhite_web.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	8083Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broachonfabric02_web.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	8082

I love the overall shape - kind of like a mussel shell - and celtic knots are always beautiful and fascinating - nice work!
    Alan

A great set of entries so far - the August theme has certainly sparked some beautiful and original work.

This month I set out to stretch myself and it certainly has been quite a steep learning curve. My entry is based on childhood memories of summer day trips out. We rarely went to the seaside as my father thought sitting on the sand "doing nothing" was a waste of money. So on the odd occasion when we did go, my brother and I spent our time collecting shells, squelching seaweed through our toes and exploring rock pools.

So here is my rock pool, peer into it to see a little crab, starfish, limpets and a couple of small fish swimming through the seaweed with a labradorite stone adding colour, depth and reflection. The crab, starfish, limpets and fish were pierced from fine silver to avoid fire scale and provide a polished contrast to the darkness of the rest of the piece. The chain I made to go with it is intentionally short as I wanted the pendant to sit high up on the neckline.

Name:	RockPool.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	8084Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RockPoolPendant.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	8085Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RockPoolPendant1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	8086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RockPoolPendant2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	8087

I had a lot of fun making this and it brought back lots of happy memories.

Wow! I think you've surpassed yourself Susie - that is really stunning!
    Alan

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    A great set of entries so far - the August theme has certainly sparked some beautiful and original work.

This month I set out to stretch myself and it certainly has been quite a steep learning curve. My entry is based on childhood memories of summer day trips out. We rarely went to the seaside as my father thought sitting on the sand "doing nothing" was a waste of money. So on the odd occasion when we did go, my brother and I spent our time collecting shells, squelching seaweed through our toes and exploring rock pools.

So here is my rock pool, peer into it to see a little crab, starfish, limpets and a couple of small fish swimming through the seaweed with a labradorite stone adding colour, depth and reflection. The crab, starfish, limpets and fish were pierced from fine silver to avoid fire scale and provide a polished contrast to the darkness of the rest of the piece. The chain I made to go with it is intentionally short as I wanted the pendant to sit high up on the neckline.

I had a lot of fun making this and it brought back lots of happy memories.
    absolutely stunning - brilliant, love it.

Hi all,

I think this month the theme has inspired so many of you to create some truely wonderful pieces! Thank you for sharing them with us!

I will get our judges to have a look and decide (if they can) who should win!

Keep an eye out on here and the winner will be announced in the next few days!

Fingers crossed and good luck!

Thanks
    Jemima

They are all great entries here, each one is so unique! I have to admit SusieQ I've been looking at your entry really close trying to work out how you did it all, I really love it... It's such a cute idea. I've yet to come up with my own "style", hopefully I'll figure that out soon!

Hi all,

I am happy to announce the winner of the August Themed competition is SuzieQ with the below entry:

Name:	suzieq.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	8094

The judges said: “The standard was really high this month but it’s clear that a lot of happy memories, thought and love went into this piece, it had to win!

SuzieQ, please email me (jemima.joy@cooksongold.com) with your contact details and Cooksongold account number (if you have one) and I will arrange for your prize to be sorted.

Once again, congratulations SuzieQ!