Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition August 2015 – Summer Holidays

Default Theme Competition August 2015 – Summer Holidays

Hello Everyone,

Whether you are off work with your children, having a few days out with the family, or simply enjoying an extra 10 minutes in bed in the morning as Rush hour is a little less busy, there is no denying it, the summer holidays are in full swing! So we thought it would only be appropriate for this month’s theme to be SUMMER HOLIDAYS.

From things that remind you of your summer holidays as a child, to the things your children will be doing over the next month or so, whatever summer holidays mean to you, enter it in this months competition!

The winner will get a £100 Cooksongold shopping spree!

So get creating, making and entering!

Good luck!

what a great inspiration to get myself to the beach.

Default Viking knit - Summer Holidays competition entry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19703293524_9ed039a9cc_b.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	8007

I decided to try my hand at Viking knitting sterling silver - in this case 0.4mm diameter wire. There was no design, but an earlier experiment or two that produced some interesting, vaguely organic shapes. Completing he Viking knit is one aspect, the other being to shape the results by drawing or in this case gently teasing the product with nylon jawed pliers.

The shape gradually evolved towards resembling (if loosely) the Eiffel Tower. We often travel to France and this year is no different in that we will pass by Paris. Only one year (by virtue of a detour due to horrendous traffic jams that were so bad that a detour near the centre of Paris was the best alternative!) did we see anything of the centre at all - the Eiffel Tower at a distance. My daugher, aged 12, is desperate to visit. One day I hope to take her. Though this year we will be a long way from Paris, she'll be wearing this by way of a promise that one day, I'll take her.

Definitely wish we had a 'like' button......the view from the top is definitely worth the hassle of getting your daughter there

Hello all, I've been away for a while but haven't given up on jewellery making, I've just been really busy with other things! I have in the past year taken a couple jewellery making courses as well as a metal clay course so I'm slowly progressing forward hopefully.

I haven't been on the forum for a while so decided to come around and take a look and noticed the theme for this month's competition was "Summer Holidays". Coincidentally I just finished this piece today so I thought well why not? We've just spent a holiday up on Orkney Island with our 7-year old. He had great enthusiasm looking for sea glass and shells on the very desolate beaches of Orkney and we collected quite a lot by the time we left.

I wanted to create a momento for myself of the trip using a piece of his found sea glass. I tried the more typical method I often see of wrapping glass in wire but wanted something a little more interesting so did some experimenting and came up with this. I wanted to create the texture of sand/pebbles so I made a mold using of one of our little boy's plastic dinosaurs that had a bumpy texture (I believe it was a Stegosaurus) and textured my silver art clay. You can't really tell from the picture but the back is open behind the sea glass and in the light it looks quite green and lovely. It is held in place by the silver wire spirals.

It was just good fun to create and doubtfully worthy of winning a competition but it has special meaning to me and I just wanted to share it here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150809_18_12_28_Pro.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	8011
    Last edited by Sandra; 09-08-2015 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Misspelled word!

Welcome back Sandra and what a lovely momento of your holiday.

Welcome back Sandra. Hope to see lots more ingenious pieces with your stash of sea glass. Dennis

Metalsmith - I definitely see the Eiffel tower in your entry - took me back to the the last time I was in Paris, nearly 40 years ago and I walked up the steps up the Eiffel tower because my OH was afraid of heights and refused to get in the lift!

Sandra - another lovely entry. I particularly like the swirls you've created to hold in the sea glass in the stegosaurus texture. It may not match up to the skills of some of the very very talented jewellers there are on the forum, but it's perfect of the theme and going to be 100% up there for magical memories in 50 years time, trust me.

Susie

Hi everyone,

Our themed competition for August is now in full swing, and we are excited to receive your 'Summer Holidays' themed entries.

Don't forget to enter - you could be in with a chance of winning a £100 Cooksongold shopping spree!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    Metalsmith - I definitely see the Eiffel tower in your entry - took me back to the the last time I was in Paris, nearly 40 years ago and I walked up the steps up the Eiffel tower because my OH was afraid of heights and refused to get in the lift!
    Reminds me of years ago in Paris persuading/bullying an acrophobic friend to at least try... She made it 22 steps then sat down and cried - it took all my persuasive skills (not to mention brute force) to get her to loosen her grip on the metalwork and work her way back down again.