Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sleeping baby giraffe pendant

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Default sleeping baby giraffe pendant

I can't work with wax, yet I can with silver sheet - how is that even right? I would save so much time and funds if I were to get things cast - and do more than one!

here is, as per title, a baby giraffe taking a snooze.

I have included my original sketch, original outline cut with a 3/0 blade, then a bit of texturing for depth and marking out lines. The metal was cut into with found and flat gravers. To finish I have used liver of sulphur for that illusion of the golden sandy colour. I really must remember to put something on my fingers when using gravers for an extended amount of time to avoid getting blisters - and of course relax my grip a bit more.

this has been posted on FB - but some peeps don't visit there.

Attachment 7992

Ha - I didn't believe that's how giraffes slept so I looked on google images.
    Blow me, you're spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    Ha - I didn't believe that's how giraffes slept so I looked on google images.
    Blow me, you're spot on.
    thank you

stops them getting trodden on I suppose

I understand that in their natural environment, they only sleep in short bursts.
    Last edited by Wallace; 02-08-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Very inventive. Lots of admiration from me.

Bit of masking tape around the painful part of the graver? Regards, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Very inventive. Lots of admiration from me.

Bit of masking tape around the painful part of the graver? Regards, Dennis.
    thank you very much Dennis

I have some of that shrink plastic, but I think it was being too heavy fingered - later on, once the blisters were apparent, I went more softly and had really good results. Lessons in everything. I will be adding another layer of shrink plastic.

I was born and raised in Kenya and am a sucker for anything depicting wild African animals... and there are few things as cute as a baby giraffe, asleep or awake. That's a beautiful piece of work and I admire it more for being a one-off worked with blood, sweat and blisters from a piece of sheet rather than a cast from a wax model. Since I'm one of those with an allergy to Facebook I really appreciate you sharing it here.

charming!
    and I too have an allergy to Facebook. I really like your work.

I really like the work in progress pictures, and the giraffe is so cute! Beautifully made too.

That's so cute!

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    I was born and raised in Kenya and am a sucker for anything depicting wild African animals... and there are few things as cute as a baby giraffe, asleep or awake. That's a beautiful piece of work and I admire it more for being a one-off worked with blood, sweat and blisters from a piece of sheet rather than a cast from a wax model. Since I'm one of those with an allergy to Facebook I really appreciate you sharing it here.
    thank you Ajda - how lovely to have seen these up close. It is a one off, and I won't cast it now done either. Facebook works for some, but I realise not all. thank you for taking time to reply

Quote Originally Posted by more534 View Post
    charming!
    and I too have an allergy to Facebook. I really like your work.
    Thank you - I find it better than Twitter, but thankful peeps don't mind me posting here. I am hoping to inspire those. who like me, learned predominantly on their own. Things can be done, in time. Although not perfect, It is a great little pendant.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    I really like the work in progress pictures, and the giraffe is so cute! Beautifully made too.
    thank you Lauren, it is nice to be able to bring them together. Sometimes I forget to take pictures, or my sketches are just outlines. Not the greatest of artists, but if it looks like what I am trying to do, then all is good!

Quote Originally Posted by lorraineflee View Post
    That's so cute!
    thank you very much Lorraine