Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sleeping baby giraffe pendant

Really beautiful from a non facebooker

May I ask whether you make your animal pendants like your giraffe in layers Wallace, if not it is worth trying, when I have made animals carved in silver, I solder layers together which have had some exterior shapes filed before soldering the layers together, this saves removing a lot of metal with scorpers when carving the body details. Also I cut off the fingers from old leather gloves and use them to save wearing out my finger tips when using scorpers, I have also used rubber finger tips like these; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubber-Finge.../dp/B00007LB0F

This was my mate Don using one to save his thumb while cutting facets on a KCB star with a flat scorper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001b- Don 1967.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	8000

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 04-08-2015 at 01:18 PM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by vernon View Post
    Really beautiful from a non facebooker
    thank you Vernon

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    May I ask whether you make your animal pendants like your giraffe in layers Wallace, if not it is worth trying, when I have made animals carved in silver, I solder layers together which have had some exterior shapes filed before soldering the layers together, this saves removing a lot of metal with scorpers when carving the body details. Also I cut off the fingers from old leather gloves and use them to save wearing out my finger tips when using scorpers, I have also used rubber finger tips like these; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubber-Finge.../dp/B00007LB0F

This was my mate Don using one to save his thumb while cutting facets on a KCB star with a flat scorper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001b- Don 1967.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	8000

James
    Thank you James, I do have a rubber allergy, so have to be a tad careful on what and how long I use things. I do have them - but my fingers and thumbs swell up. Regarding layering, I really wanted a go at taking the metal out and learning to use the flat scorper more. Perhaps another one will result in sweat soldering. I often do layers, just not on this occasion - it is all from one flat sheet. Thank you so much James, you are always helpful and provide great ideas and suggestions, backed up with some wonderful pictures too.

That's lovely ...
    Interesting to know liver of sulphur throws a golden cast; I thought it was for oxidising (assumed just towards black)

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    That's lovely ...
    Interesting to know liver of sulphur throws a golden cast; I thought it was for oxidising (assumed just towards black)
    thank you .

I have taken liver of sulphur through a variety of colours with the metal. Varying the strength, dips and sometimes a little warm, not hot, water for rinsing (hot water can cause it to only darken on the surface and then flake off).

It can do golden, petrol rainbow blues right through to darkest black.