Thread: Experience versus Qualifications

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I really feel that a GOOD degree will give you as near as most people can get these days to an apprenticeship with a master, and the skills that are passed down through universities/apprenticeships are honed and change over time in ways that isolated individuals would take far longer to achieve. A good book to look at on this subject is 'From Hand To Hand' (ISBN 8874394608 sorry can't link to Amazon until I have posted 15 times!). That is not to say that self-taught people aren't at the same level at all, but just that the benefit of a 'masters' experience offers the student the chance to progress quickly to the same level as the master, and then beyond. Obviously this doesn't happen in every university, but when it works well talent and skill combined and magnified through the generations can create the highest standard of work, just as in apprenticeships.
    I guess I'm biased because I'm a trainee jewellery tutor, but I have always felt strongly that my degree at Sheffield Hallam University in the Jewellery department was invaluable. I also think that people need to remember that at degree level you will not necessarily get one-to-one tuition on a daily basis like you do on a short course, but you are expected to spend your time perfecting your skills, and researching skills that you are keen to learn but that might not have been 'taught', but with the benefit of the universities resources and the tutors knowledge.
    Anyone agree?
    *tumbleweed blows through*
    :-)

Just read that through and thought that maybe I should add that I don't think the 'piece of paper' matters all that much in this field unless you were job hunting (if memory serves I think that most jewellery graduates go on to self employment), but that the experience itself is far more important.
    Last edited by wendy; 13-07-2009 at 09:45 PM.