Thread: Experience versus Qualifications

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Experience versus Qualifications

So much emphasis is placed upon having qualifications thesedays - but are qualifications more relevant than good old fashioned experience. It's all well and good have a Degree, Master, C&G etc, but if you don't have that talent and knowledge which develops with years of practise, then what good id it. Often the basics are forgotten with these people - that's what I've found in my personal experience.

Please discuss, would love to hear some thoughts!

Well my background is ex forces and qualified nurse. I taught myself how to make jewellery and experiment all the time. Not having a qualification works in my favour as I will try things differently. One of the problems with qualifications is that some people struggle to think outside the box. Therefore don't seem to push themselves.

I have found this a problem with our local college, almost all students go on to produce the same things in the same style, which is a pity because some of the work they produced pre course tend (in my opinion) to be better.

I would tend to agree, although I did do a course to start learning so that I could get advice. I made sure I always practiced the key skills taught, but didn't then restrict myself to using just what we had been taught to create pieces - I always think the tutor is there to ask questions to and to help you achieve your goals (within reason!). My tutor was great and did a very good job. However, she did say that to really make a career from jewllery making you ought to do the degree (I don't know if this was really because she also taught on a degree course as well as the evening one I was doing). I always believe that if you are truely talented enough that will outshine any certificate...

I agree that a degree/qualification isn't always necessary, though I guess it probably can help you to be taken more seriously. Maybe that's my paranoia though, because I am self taught aside from a mini course in Silversmithing a few years back I do worry about how it will affect peoples opinion of me as a Jewellery Designer and Maker.

I'm actually looking in to a Foundation Degree at the moment to take part time, to me the more you learn the better, no matter where it comes from!

I am totally self thought, i go on the rules that if i would'nt wear it myself then i don't sell it,,, i make absolute sure that each item is perfect before it goes up for sale..

Well I reckon you need a bit of both. Nothing can replace experience but some education in any given field is a great place to start and when dealing with something that costs money it can provide you with enough to stop to many initial mistakes. I know I have been able to teach myself many things but I have really enjoyed pulling in the experience of Chris Pate for my PMC and now I fully intend to do a course of metal work with her