Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Experience versus Qualifications

having been brought up in the 'good old days' when girls were minimally educated and as my parents said 'girls go to work then get married and have children' the only qualifications I have I took at night school whilst bringing up my family and working. No luxury of degree courses for me. All I can say is if I am determined to do something I will, my needlework teacher told me I would never be able to make a thing but have since managed mens suits and wedding dresses as well as all the normal stuff. Going to college or Uni is to much of a luxury for me now but I enjoy going to Chris's and have learnt a lot from her but I really do enjoy playing and learn most that way.

I have enjoyed following this thread, i don't have a degree in anything, I'm new to working with silver but i have always worked with my hands, textiles, painting, overglaze, glass etc.
    The reason i'm adding my 2 penny worth is because no one has talked about City & Guilds courses. I have a diploma in Creative Studies- china painting, as well as another qualification with them. It took me 5 years to work my way thru the course, which was by distance learning.
    Some of you have said other courses have little emphasis on design, C&G creative studies courses have design as a core element to all the creative studies courses, so if you were designing knitwear or jewellery this part of the course is the same. As well as this you learn the skills needed to be a maker in your chosen field.
    At the moment I'm making basic pieces to practice techniques, I can't wait to make something highly individual but first I need some skills
    Jille

Quote Originally Posted by jille View Post
    I have enjoyed following this thread, i don't have a degree in anything, I'm new to working with silver but i have always worked with my hands, textiles, painting, overglaze, glass etc.
    The reason i'm adding my 2 penny worth is because no one has talked about City & Guilds courses. I have a diploma in Creative Studies- china painting, as well as another qualification with them. It took me 5 years to work my way thru the course, which was by distance learning.
    Some of you have said other courses have little emphasis on design, C&G creative studies courses have design as a core element to all the creative studies courses, so if you were designing knitwear or jewellery this part of the course is the same. As well as this you learn the skills needed to be a maker in your chosen field.
    At the moment I'm making basic pieces to practice techniques, I can't wait to make something highly individual but first I need some skills
    Jille
    Thanks for posting this Jille. I'd never considered C&G before - it certainly sounds interesting. How did you get on, working through the course? Did you have tutors you could call upon to help out ?
    Jules

The first time round I did textiles, one day a week at college, with a lot of work at home, the second time round I did the china painting diploma by distance learning, much like the OU, all the work was done at home but i had a tutor i could contact. Work was sent off to be marked and at the end there was a final display of work for the external assessor. C&G courses are available worldwide. If you are self motivated it's great as you work at your own pace.
    I'll have a look at their website and see what they have for silver jewellery making
    jille

Here is a link to the C&G courses
    http://www.cityandguilds.com/36664.html

Quote Originally Posted by jille View Post
    Here is a link to the C&G courses
    City & Guilds | Qualification | Creative Techniques
    Thanks for that Jille. I'll have a look-see later on xx
    Jules