Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Experience versus Qualifications

Excellent reply Julie, I think that is why I am a bit reluctant to go for a course with a qualification, because, as you say, some courses that provide a qualification are just paper pushing exercises, but some are excellent. Sorting the good ones from the bad takes a lot of time.

Jules x
    Last edited by Petal; 08-09-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: missed a bit out

It depends on what qualification. My advice would be don't concentrate on the level/ "value" of qualification but what they produce. IMHO the HND at my uni produced far better stuff than we did on the degree. I hated my degree- they were very biased/ subjective and hated my work and gave me such self esteem issues about my work that I still struggle with it and can't see the value in it often.
    I learnt more in one year doing my post grad than I did 3 years at degree..with positive teachers who actually gave feedback about what I could do to make it better. So to me my degree is worthless, other than the fact it's nice to have one and the friends I made. I would rather have the technical skills from apprenticeship or an HNC or HND (I would still do an apprenticeship/ work experience now if someone offered it to me!). Maybe a degree someplace else would have been better, but IMHO they aren't all they are cracked up to be. But I LOVE classes, nothing better than input from others (including students) and camaraderie (sp??) and the opportunity to see things and have someone right there you can say where am I going wrong with this...if you get stuck with a book/ experimenting it can be tough, even with a forum you can't always explain via text/pictures you need to SEE.
    Practice makes perfect yes, but what if you repeat the same mistake over and over (I still can't solder a ring!! HELP MEEEEEE LOL).
    The only important thing is love what you are doing and do what you love!

Em

This is my tuppence worth - just 'cos I can and I love the forum and the debate.

I have no jewellery qualifications. I am a hobbyist jeweller who found it completely by accident.

I'm a computer programmer (so many of us on the forum seem to be involved with computers, it's spooky) with a BSc and an MSc in computing degrees - the BSc got me my job. My job paid for my MSc which I did for my own interest, not because it gets me a pay rise or a better job. I did the MSc just because "computing" is such a wide area, it's difficult to know much about all of it and I wanted to 'see' different areas out of curiosity.

To me, making jewellery is the same - there are SOOOO many areas in which you can work. I've worked with beads and silver plated wire until now - but recently finished my first sterling silver necklace. I got the design from a book as I'm self taught. But just looking at jewellery in shops and magazines, and some of the sites you guys have, makes me realise I'd also like to do so many other things but without a class I'm probably not going to manage it.

The question originally was to do with qualifications versus experience - my opinion is that both can be essential to some people who are looking to offer jobs - for other job providers only one or neither are essential. It all depends on the situation.

P.S. Sorry for the ramble, just needed to say something
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by snow_imp View Post
    To me, making jewellery is the same - there are SOOOO many areas in which you can work. I've worked with beads and silver plated wire until now - but recently finished my first sterling silver necklace. I got the design from a book as I'm self taught. But just looking at jewellery in shops and magazines, and some of the sites you guys have, makes me realise I'd also like to do so many other things but without a class I'm probably not going to manage it.
    P.S. Sorry for the ramble, just needed to say something
    No ramble at all - very good point, you could never be qualified in "everything" to do with jewellery (unless of course you were 300 and hadn't lost your marbles)
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

You'd probably find your marbles mounted in a ring or pendant somewhere
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaRose View Post
    It depends on what qualification. My advice would be don't concentrate on the level/ "value" of qualification but what they produce. IMHO the HND at my uni produced far better stuff than we did on the degree. I hated my degree- they were very biased/ subjective and hated my work and gave me such self esteem issues about my work that I still struggle with it and can't see the value in it often.
    I learnt more in one year doing my post grad than I did 3 years at degree..with positive teachers who actually gave feedback about what I could do to make it better. So to me my degree is worthless, other than the fact it's nice to have one and the friends I made. I would rather have the technical skills from apprenticeship or an HNC or HND (I would still do an apprenticeship/ work experience now if someone offered it to me!). Maybe a degree someplace else would have been better, but IMHO they aren't all they are cracked up to be. But I LOVE classes, nothing better than input from others (including students) and camaraderie (sp??) and the opportunity to see things and have someone right there you can say where am I going wrong with this...if you get stuck with a book/ experimenting it can be tough, even with a forum you can't always explain via text/pictures you need to SEE.
    Practice makes perfect yes, but what if you repeat the same mistake over and over (I still can't solder a ring!! HELP MEEEEEE LOL).
    The only important thing is love what you are doing and do what you love!

Em

Where did you do your degree? I agree in theory but some places/opportunities cater only for people with degrees so maybe in that respect having one is beneficial

Well here's my penneth, I actually have a very varied background in "metalwork". I started life in engineering, then went to welding/ fabrication and blacksmithing... as my knowledge progressed I ended up sat behind a desk for a large company turning over 10 million a year and hated everyminute to be honest , anyhow 15 yrs ago I decided to go to college and studied part time for 4 yrs in Jewellery Design and Manufacturing, I sold the first ring I ever made and have not looked back since. I believe that you make best progress by being taught but its the actual person that counts, including the desire linked with a certain amount of ability. I'm at a stage now where if its made of metal (precious or not) I can make it. It has given me so many years of satisfaction it's unture.I think my course that started the ball rolling was pretty much essential to gain basic knowledge for the first year the remaining 3 yrs I went because of the interaction with like minded people. Like someone said on here in the first few posts, my family and freinds say "oh thats very nice" etc but its the interaction I find the most beneficial. As for degrees. I think they have their place but it really depends on what you want to do with all your knowledge. If you are any good and want to earn a living from it your work produced, past and present ,is all that you need. I know some people who produce some very fine work without an hour of classroom time.

its the actual person that counts, including the desire linked with a certain amount of ability.
    I agree, natural ability goes a long way towards it. My dad was an engineer and had me pottering around on lathes when I was 11 (no health and safety issues in the good old days ) and I found it easy working with metal - I'm quite good at flower arranging as well but that's a different story and I don't know where that came from!

Ahhh Geti, your flower arranging comes from your creative feminine side, of course

xx
    Last edited by Petal; 16-10-2009 at 08:47 AM.
    Jules

I have no jewellery related qualifications as such and am mostly self taught apart from one term of silversmithing evening classes. I do have an art degree but metalwork did not feature. Whilst I don't regret my career choices as such If my daughter were to tell me she was planning to do a creative type degree course I would steer her towards something more academic - you can always fall back on your (unqualified) creativity if the accountancy work dries up