Thread: Delrin / Nylon doming block

Default Delrin / Nylon doming block

I would really like a doming block made out of delrin or similar.
    I know there are a couple of places in the U.S. Where they are available, but I'd much rather spend my cash in the UK!
    Or, is there anyone who could make one for me 😍

Ta!

Sarah
    Last edited by orestruck; 30-07-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Flaming autocorrect!

PS Bond makes things - he might do it for you Sarah. By the way, its lovely to have you back on here, I hope you are well and still bashing and making lovely things?
    Jules

I'm afraid I don't think I could make one economically. Unlike the anticlastic stakes, where a certain amount of handwork is OK, these would have to be machined start to finish to make sure they're proper hemispheres. A 70mm thick slab of acetal is around the £125 mark before you even start working it...

I think this is probably one where the cast version is going to be more sensible.

Have you considered a hard wood doming block set, like this one by Proops on Amazon; http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CIPG6J...KS4WPT7W31GWER

They also sell a thermo plastic one down the page amongst this lot; http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...s=doming+block
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 30-07-2015 at 03:56 PM.

I have made large doming punches out of thermoplastic (thermomorph = £14/ 500g on amazon)- you heat up the plastic in hot water, press into the doming block and allow to cool. You could also do the reverse- heat the plastic, put in a container and press your punch into it to give doming block. The best bit is when it wears out or you need another size you can reuse the plastic. I have been meaning to see if I can make unusual shaped punch/block sets with it too. It is also good for holding small things when working on them- e.g. setting stones, filing etc.

Great tip re thermoplastic!

Thanks all for the input!
    I'll maybe try and do something with thermoplastic.
    Jules, yes I'm still bashing away! I'm probably busier than I've ever been and am actually making some kind of a living! I'll never be a millionaire, but it beats office work

Sarah