Thread: Delrin / Nylon doming block

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Delrin / Nylon doming block

I would really like a doming block made out of delrin or similar.
    I know there are a couple of places in the U.S. Where they are available, but I'd much rather spend my cash in the UK!
    Or, is there anyone who could make one for me 😍

Ta!

Sarah
    Last edited by orestruck; 30-07-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Flaming autocorrect!

PS Bond makes things - he might do it for you Sarah. By the way, its lovely to have you back on here, I hope you are well and still bashing and making lovely things?
    Jules

I'm afraid I don't think I could make one economically. Unlike the anticlastic stakes, where a certain amount of handwork is OK, these would have to be machined start to finish to make sure they're proper hemispheres. A 70mm thick slab of acetal is around the £125 mark before you even start working it...

I think this is probably one where the cast version is going to be more sensible.

Have you considered a hard wood doming block set, like this one by Proops on Amazon; http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CIPG6J...KS4WPT7W31GWER

They also sell a thermo plastic one down the page amongst this lot; http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...s=doming+block
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 30-07-2015 at 03:56 PM.

I have made large doming punches out of thermoplastic (thermomorph = £14/ 500g on amazon)- you heat up the plastic in hot water, press into the doming block and allow to cool. You could also do the reverse- heat the plastic, put in a container and press your punch into it to give doming block. The best bit is when it wears out or you need another size you can reuse the plastic. I have been meaning to see if I can make unusual shaped punch/block sets with it too. It is also good for holding small things when working on them- e.g. setting stones, filing etc.

Great tip re thermoplastic!