Thread: What to do with 'questionable' beads?

Default What to do with 'questionable' beads?

Hello,

To cut a long story short I began making bead jewellery using a variety of different beads. I've now decided to close that business down (it hardly every really got started. It was just a case of registering my business in case I did happen to sell any) and start up again with an entirely different style of jewellery made mainly of silver and gold. If there are any beads they will be few.

As I wanted as much colour and variety as possible I basically shopped all over the place and didn't particularly seek out suppliers with an established, reputable reputation. I'm not saying I bought from un-reputable sources but I wasn't discerning enough about it.

Mainly it's glass beads and gem stones (carnelian, agate, amethyst...). A most of the beads are (allegedly) Czech, including pressed, table cut and Picasso and also fire polished faceted glass beads. I thought these would be safe but then I learnt that Czech beads can possibly contain lead. I assumed that the gemstones were safe on account that they're gemstones. I still don't really know if this is the case.

I intend to wrap up that business and re open with my new style jewellery but...

what do I do with these beads? I don't feel right selling them as I am not 100% sure of them and what they contain. I also feel uncomfortable about throwing them away, for the same reason - though I personally have no problem throwing them away.

So do I have to keep them forever?? Is there somewhere I can take them??

For all I know these beads are all perfectly safe but I can't say that for 100% certain.

If you bought the glass beads from a UK or EU supplier then they are deemed safe to wear, I would personally ignore any horror stories circulating on the web. However, if you cannot then the only thing to do is to put them in the rubbish bin. For the glass and gemstone beads there are plenty of destash pages on Facebook and if you price them right they might find happy new owners.

thank you Stacey! You don't know how good it feels to have an answer on this!

Or give them to a charity shop who will find a home no doubt. Some will have beaders buying old and broken items all the time.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Or you could try selling them on Ebay?
    Jules

As long as you put a warning on the ad to say the source is unknown origin. Anyone buying will be warned that they may not be what they appear to be.

I've got loads of old beads too. I also need to get rid of them. When I get around to it, I think I'll look for a charity craft group.