Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: mirror shine to Argentium silver?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I imagined Brasso to be a little coarser than Silvo, although I might be wrong.

The chain already comes polished. All it might need is drawing through a silver polishing cloth between finger and thumb.

If you use any polishing compound on a fine chain there will be a lot of black gunge to clean up, although plenty of washing up liquid and hot water will remove it.

This takes me back to my days in the army on national service. We were issued with a brand new belt with a brass buckle (a casting, I presume) and told to get some Brasso in the NAAFI and polish it. The perfection of the shine was a measure of your worth. Dennis.

Yes, now I think of it, I think I read somewhere that Brasso is coarser and therefore better for the scratches. Will get them today. Really excited about trying them out. I want my jewellery gleaming!!

It says on the Brasso tin for copper, brass, stainless steel and chrome

Well I've used the miro mesh and Brasso and Silvo and it is lovely and shiny but the scratches are still there. Do I just need to keep repeating over and over until they go?

Coarser grade until the scratches are gone (hold it up to the light and get the reflection off the surface). Then a finer grade until the coarser grade scratches are gone. Work through the grades gradually - as a rule of thumb you'll need to spend about twice as long as the previous stage took.

oh - didn't do that!! ok many thanks!

Forgot to say - make sure you back the abrasive with something other than your fingers; you'll get a more even finish that way. If you just use your fingers then the pressure on the abrasive is pretty much only where your fingertips are and they do not make good sanding blocks.