Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mirror shine to Argentium silver?

fantastic advice thank you so much - I'm glad I didn't rush in and click the BUY IT NOW on the Dremel tool!! Another 'early days' habit curbed!

My best advice would be to keep going with the micro mesh until you can afford a really good pendant motor like a Foredom or a Milbro. If you buy anything else, you'll be needing to replace it at some time.

[QUOTE=ajda;80613I'm not a fan of Amazon and I use eBay all the time. Their dispute/returns system works fine if you understand and follow their system.)

Might have to inbox you ajda - I got completely ripped of with a fake bottle of perfume a week ago

Don't be seduced by something with loads of attachments and accessories - most of them will probably be of no use to you and you'll be better off buying the accessories you need (such as radial discs) as and when you need them.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree with ajda here - 90% of the starter accessories (including the ones in the pack with my Foredom) were no use at all.
    I only ever used about 2 things - the sanding drums and a couple of silicone abrasives (which you might also like for polishing).

They can give you a bit of an idea of what's available, but I definitely wouldn't buy something on the basis of having a "200 piece accessory kit". x

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    My best advice would be to keep going with the micro mesh until you can afford a really good pendant motor like a Foredom or a Milbro. If you buy anything else, you'll be needing to replace it at some time.
    Carol's hit the nail on the head. Sometimes we need a "like button" for replies here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    Completely agree with ajda here - 90% of the starter accessories (including the ones in the pack with my Foredom) were no use at all.
    To be fair, the accessories pack with the pendant motor & jeweller's kit from Foredom is pretty good - they're not the cheap junk you normally get bundled with things. However, resupply isn't always easy and I tend to stick with consumables I can get locally so things like the Trizact discs/bands don't see much use.

Agree that the accessories were good quality. I think I just needed really specific things.
    Living in the middle of nowhere, I end up buying most things online (anything else involves a military operation to pack up everyone for the day), but even then I've never been able to track down some things that were in the starter pack.

This place holds more than others: http://www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php

Micro-Mesh cloths now ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The real problem with polishing the name plate perfectly is that the jump rings get in the way of a clean sweep. This would be less so for radial disks if you use a series of say four grades, ending in light green.

MicroMesh is a rubber backed abrasive sheet and will give a blinding finish, using a series of grits say:2500, 3600 (or 4000) 6000 and 8000.
    However it works best put flat on the table and the metal rubbed on it. This means doing it before adding jump rings through holes and preferably not soldered.

Beginners, I have always suspected, do not feel they are being real jewellers if they resort to simple household products. But if I were on a budget I would put some Brasso on a pad of paper on the table and rub my flat surface on that. Then progress to Silvo on a soft cloth for the same treatment.
    It's dirty I know, but you can wear gloves and the metal polish residues come off with washing up liquid and hot water. Dennis.

What is the difference between Brasso and Silvo? Also, is there any 'right' way polish fine sterling silver trace chain??

Quote Originally Posted by lolabead View Post
    What is the difference between Brasso and Silvo? Also, is there any 'right' way polish fine sterling silver trace chain??
    I imagined Brasso to be a little coarser than Silvo, although I might be wrong.

The chain already comes polished. All it might need is drawing through a silver polishing cloth between finger and thumb.

If you use any polishing compound on a fine chain there will be a lot of black gunge to clean up, although plenty of washing up liquid and hot water will remove it.

This takes me back to my days in the army on national service. We were issued with a brand new belt with a brass buckle (a casting, I presume) and told to get some Brasso in the NAAFI and polish it. The perfection of the shine was a measure of your worth. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 31-07-2015 at 04:14 PM.

I think Brasso is for brass mainly, it's what I used to polish my Guide badge with and Silvo is for silver