Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving silver a dull brushed effect

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    I'd recommend these if you have a pendant motor of some description http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-ACR

Would they work ok with a dremel?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    You can get them considerably cheaper here.
    Among other things these people stock the full range of Menzerna polishes and do a very wide range of mops. I have ordered from them several times and delivery was free and very quick.
    I didn't realise they did pendant motor accessories.......I had my bench polisher from here some years ago.......shall be having a mooch around their site!! Thanks

The polishing jewellery site is the "distilled" version of the full Moleroda site - the idea being that no sane jeweller would want the full lot...
    Nice bunch, only just up the road from me; they make the abrasive nylon & felt products on site.
    Oh, and they do servicing on Saeshin micromotors too (which I hope not to need, but having to go all of 8 miles is not much of a hardship). I know a few jewellers locally who have bought the Strong 209a micromotors; they're finding them a revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by Caline View Post
    Yes, but keep the speed down and don't press too hard. 10k RPM is more than enough - you've got quite a chunk of mass on the end of a thin rod, any off-axis force can cause problems at high revs.

Quote Originally Posted by Caline View Post
    yep,it's what I use mine with. As Peter says though,keep the speed quite low and don't press hard. You can be quite light with them tbh

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I know a few jewellers locally who have bought the Strong 209a micromotors; they're finding them a revelation.
    Since we're on the subject, and since I'm always interested in trying to find the "best" (even if I can't afford it yet), what would people recommend when it comes to micromotor/pendant motor/rotary tool systems?

Define best?
    If you need something with a chuck rather than collets (so you can work with other than 3/32" tools) then a micromotor isn't going to help much. Brushless micromotors are generally higher torque than brushed. Maximum speed is only occasionally an issue (mine will go to 50kRPM, but the handpiece I'm using isn't rated beyond 35k).

Buy the best micromotor you can afford, with special regard to torque (although torque is rarely disclosed in the description). The second benefit would be to have interchangeable hand pieces, so that you can have a hammer hand piece for setting and riveting.

The preferred foot control should also control the speed and not simply be an on/off switch.

That said, you can buy a perfectly acceptable entry level Marathon micromotor for under £100 from China. I bought one as a stand by and have been using it as my main motor for the last year, because I like the feel of it. The slight lack of torque can be made up by increasing the speed.
    beware of buying the angled (contra angle) dental hand piece, because it takes shorter, notched (latch type) burrs.

I have often thought however, that a contra angle handpiece would be much more comfortable for making seats for flush and pave settings. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Define best?
    Ah, you've got me there... But good points to think about from both of you - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have often thought however, that a contra angle handpiece would be much more comfortable for making seats for flush and pave settings.
    I angle the workpiece rather than the handpiece - makes for better ergonomics.