Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw Blade Brand Recommendations, Please

Default Saw Blade Brand Recommendations, Please

I finally ran out of the unbranded saw blades I purchased two years ago. I'm a newbie, but was pleased that I finally reached the stage where I rarely broke a blade .. they go dull first. Hence, I decided to treat myself and bought Vallorbe blades from Cookson.

Well, in two days practicing piercing out a copper butterfly I've broken four blades. I'm using 0.8 copper sheet and a 2/0 blade, which should be okay per the info on Cookson. The last blade broke after being used to cut out 1.5 cms left where it's predecessor gave up. I was about to finish reinserting the blade to start a new area, the copper butterfly resting gently on a mat so as not to put any pressure on the blade ... and the blade broke in the middle. I've tried the blades with my simple German saw frame and my lovely Knew Concept frame and it makes no difference.

I've convinced myself that it's the blades and not me ... not at this rate of blade failure anyway. On the other hand ... maybe I should change blade size? Copper seem to be a bit more "robust" than silver.

I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend a UK source for reliable saw blades.

Stacey, I am not sure if Cookson's Vallorbe blades are the same as the ones I use, remember Vallorbe is a place in Switzerland, I am sure if they are Glardon Vallorbe they should say so on their saw pages!
    I get my Glardon - Vallorbe - Super, jewellers saw blades from here; http://www.eurofindings.com/Results?q=saw+blades.
    You can also get them here; https://www.hswalsh.com/product/supe...ade-20-tb14820

This shows a pack of the blades I like using;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glardon Vallorbe 3-0 size blades.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	7975

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 27-07-2015 at 10:58 AM.

You're not alone, have a look at this thread.
    clicky

Vaguely seem to remember that Samuel Findings were selling authentic "Glardon Vallorbe" blades up until recently.

Thanks James, I've bought dozen each in various sizes and they aren't in the manufaturer's packaging so I can't tell if they are Glardon or not. Thanks for the links, curious that everywhere else notes they are Glardon ... with the exception of Cookson. Makes me suspect they are not the real deal, I'll give the Glardon's a try when I've finished breaking the rest of this lot.

Yup, I see from the thread that this looks to be a problem with Cookson's Vallorbe blades. Shame really, guess it wasn't just a bad batch a year of so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    You're not alone, have a look at this thread.
    clicky
    I have great respect for our senior members, but having had the same trouble, I tried out the recommendations of three of them which are in this list with the conclusion that they did not suit me at all.

Being frugal by nature, I now have to work my way through unwanted stock, before going on to Vallorbe Glardon, which completes a full circle.
    On the plus side, I am quite pleased these days when a blade breaks, because it takes me nearer to the end of the tunnel. Dennis

On my last big piercing job, I worked through less than 2 dozen Glardon Vallorbe 3/0 saw blades piercing these out of 1mm. thick sheet, there were 10,260 holes in total to cut out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue enamel base lamp shades pierced.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	7979

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blue base lamp shades all parts, 18,7,10.jpg  

James, its a wonder you didnt get spots before your eyes. I hate piercing, and will go to any lengths to avoid it if I can. I have quite a lot of tools and vices etc, but for some reason I dont seem to be able to hold stuff tight enough on my bench peg to get a good result. Most of the metal I use is silver and 1mm thick, but 10,260 holes......... presumably you drilled the holes first, but it must have been some undertaking to thread the saw blades into each hole to start with. Patience isnt something I have much of.

Wow. I've started too late and I'm too old I think to even reach 10,000+ pierced holes in my lifetime. (Although I definitely need a few thousand piercings work of practice).