Thread: My first attempt at a gold and diamond ring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My first attempt at a gold and diamond ring

My first attempt at setting diamonds into a gold ring for my daughters 18th birthday. quite small diamonds 1.5mm just to give it a bit of sparkle.

Picture taken on my phone at the last minute hence the reflections on the ring, just a quick snap and wrap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150421_072717.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	7967
    Neil

Happy birthday to her and welcome back, Neil.

If you feel so inclined, you could do a bit more burnishing with a mini burnisher, made from an old burr with the head broken off. Going round and round will perfect the margins. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Burnisher for Flush Set Stones.jpg  

I've just done my first flush settings too, using 1.5mm moissanites and silver - glad I didn't start out with diamonds and gold, as mine don't look as good as yours yet. I think I'll spend a bit of time making a decent burnisher along the lines of your model, Dennis - thanks for the tip - and work on mine a bit more.

Good effort and Im sure you're daughter will cherish it, especially as its handmade.

I really struggled with flush setting until it just finally 'clicked', helped along a great deal by the excellent advice given on this forum. I still have to concentrate fully when flush setting, but once you've got the basics masterered then its not so daunting.

As Dennis has said though, perhaps a little more burnishing would be a good idea to smooth out the angles.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks for the comments, I'll have a look for an old burr and see if I can round the end off and have a second go if I can get it off her finger.
    Neil

I've noticed that if I polish a bit hard with a soft mop after I have gypsy set stones, the edge can become a bit 'smudged' and not look as crisp as it did before the polishing.
    The effect looks similar to the photo posted.