Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Favourite and unusual tools

I've enjoyed reading this thread! Often wondered how other people work and what their idiosynctratic tool loves are. I am saving for a motor so am just hand tools at the mo. In a past thread a no 6 file was recommended to me and right now that is what I most enjoy working with, finding it v therapeutic to go through 2, 4 then 6. Mmmm must get back to my bench, damn these school holidays!!

Hi guys sorry to jump in but could anyone advise me which Foredom Pendant motor I should go for? It's next on my list to replace - I currently have a very small Draper but it's not really cutting it! Thanks in advance

In regard to my favourite tools I love my curved burnisher it really helps smooth over as a finishing touch for setting Wouldn't be without my smiths torch either! And my beautiful Oxycon Trevor!

Quote Originally Posted by Unhindered View Post
    Hi guys sorry to jump in but could anyone advise me which Foredom Pendant motor I should go for? It's next on my list to replace - I currently have a very small Draper but it's not really cutting it! Thanks in advance

In regard to my favourite tools I love my curved burnisher it really helps smooth over as a finishing touch for setting Wouldn't be without my smiths torch either! And my beautiful Oxycon Trevor!
    Hi Charlotte, you might find this post from a couple of months ago helpful. http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...dom+micromotor

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hi Charlotte, you might find this post from a couple of months ago helpful. http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...dom+micromotor

Thanks I will check it out now!

Interesting thread. Think most people who make stuff have "that tool" that always seems to be in use, but it's probably something that varies from person to person and you find out yours as you go along. Probably the most used tool I have is a little half-round file which has been knocking around since God was a boy and has seen service on cars, 'bikes, model aircraft, model railways, DIY jobs, theatrical props projects as well as jewellery. There seems to be nothing it won't tackle and, if it's ever lost, I will be unable to do any work again!

S.M.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/dtrpp

Twitter: @DTRMetalArt

I was watching recently a video of David Basford, a master diamond setter for half a century or so - I expect many people here will know of him and have probably seen the video. A couple of his favourite tools, in constant use since he was a teenage apprentice and still going strong, are a pusher he made from a six-inch nail and a ring clamp that started life as the wooden handle of his mother's garden trowel...
    Alan

Yes there is nothing so satisfying as using tools you have put together yourself. Mine has to be my drawbench, made from a boat winch, some hand tongs, some non stretch rope and a carpenters vice.

The parts are mounted on an old work horse and the whole thing is far superior in speed an convenience to other commercial drawbenches I have tried. This has been in regular use for about twenty years. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drawbench.jpg  

Definitely go along with the home made tools idea. All my gravers are made up from reground bits of other tools - files, drill bits etc - that have reached the end of their days in their original capacity. Grind to whatever shape and size I'm after at the time, mount in a handle made from whatever bit of old dowel or bar stock I happen to have lying around and get tapping!

S.M.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/dtrpp

Twitter: @DTRMetalArt

Fantastic drawbench, Dennis - I'll be keeping a lookout from now on for a suitable winch...