Thread: Looking to learn

Default Looking to learn

Hi everyone, looking for a bit of information. I currently run an online jewellery retailer but I am looking to train potentially as a jeweller. Could anyone give me some advice as to where to start? I live in Birmingham if that makes any difference.

Cheers Paul

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

hi Paul,

Brum has a great load of courses to access - here is a link to get you started.

http://www.schoolofjewellery.co.uk/apply

There are a number of options around and about the Birmingham area, what are you looking for Paul?

There's also Andrew Berry's online courses at Atthebench.

I would really like to learn goldsmithing and gem setting. I deal in gemstone jewellery and would like to at some point in the future be able to produce the pieces I can't source.

I have looked at doing the doing the HND/Degree route but time and money are stumbling blocks.

It's certainly worth a look at http://www.inthestudio.co.uk, various courses there, very well organised and excellent tutors

Thank you for the link Jill, I have had a look at them and they are definitely one to consider. Has anyone done any of the year long courses at the birmingham jewellery school?

It is a great opportunity that you want to grab, being professional is the art toward succeeding in any field. If you want to be better than, join online courses which are not only cheap, but more informative & based on practical application of concepts. Many Jewellery Designing Institutes and Jewellers are providing this facility.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    There's also Andrew Berry's online courses at Atthebench.
    oh wow....online courses are exactly what I'm looking for you
    thank you

If you have the option I would go for a mix of online and hands on- you can't beat hands on instruction for a lot of things especially stone setting.