Thread: Bench blocks

Default Bench blocks

For a basic flat steel bench block, is it worth paying out for something like this - http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-796 - or would any old piece of scrap/offcut do (assuming it has one good face at least)? What about the grade of steel? Apart from obvious problems such as softness or brittleness, is there anything else to watch out for - for example, could any components in the steel alloy be a problem for the precious metals coming into contact with it?

Alan

I've got both commercial bench blocks and slabs of O1 that I've cut, rounded the edge and hardened. In retrospect I'd probably just buy a bench block, the only reason for the DIY approach is I had some suitable steel around.
    I don't know of any incompatibilities with steel & precious metals - you're unlikely to get particles coming off the block, unlike lead.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    In retrospect I'd probably just buy a bench block
    Thanks. I guess you are right - and to be honest, the ones on here aren't wildly expensive, even those with the Durston name. I wanted one in a hurry and was wondering about going round to a nearby industrial estate in search of an offcut... I'm away from home and it's one of the things I forgot to bring with me.

When I was starting out I didn't have money so utilised a lot of household items, rolling pin, darning mushroom and my bench block was an iron plate, dry not steam with the holes! I still use it along with my bought one because it's lighter to move around but it could do with some work, list of things to do

It is quite helpful to have tempered steel, because accumulated dents and scratches will be transferred to future work.

You also benefit from:

1. A perfectly rectangular shape, so that you can use it for constructing angled pieces.

2. One rounded edge to re-check your angle after soldering, because a sharp edge will no longer fit into it. Dennis.

Yes, Caroline, I've co-opted lots of odds and ends from kitchen and garage, but never thought of the iron - which never gets used for its proper purpose anyway, so why not? Thanks for that Dennis - my current one is pretty battered and scratched so I might invest in a decent one... I thought the curved edge was so a sharp edge didn't imprint score marks on the metal sheet if it's overhanging it when hammering the other side - but those are useful tips re constructing and checking angles.

A question for Peter - when you say you hardened your home-grown slabs are you talking case hardening? If so, what carbonising/heating/cooling methods did you use? I'm just curious - steel working is not something I know much about.

Not case hardening - I'd only use that for a low carbon (mild) steel where I needed better wear characteristics. These were heated in the HT oven to critical, oil quenched and then tempered to a spring hardness in the same oven. I don't remember if I foil wrapped them, probably not.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 24-07-2015 at 09:53 AM.