Thread: Had my first ever stall this weekend!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Had my first ever stall this weekend!

After years of procrastination, I finally had my first ever stall this weekend in the E17 Designers marquee at the Walthamstow Garden Party.

Carole, thanks for all the advice on the display - I didn't get to do everything I wanted and ran out of time to do the ring/fishing weight thing so had to do an emergency dash to a jewellery display supplier for a perspex block and some ring clips, but I think it all turned out kind of okay!

We had loads of people visit, so many people said nice things and took business cards, and I even sold some stuff! I was really nervous, but it actually ended up being really fun and I met some nice new people.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jewellery-craft-show-display.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	7942 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jewellery-craft-show-display-2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	7943 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jewellery-craft-show-display-3.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	7944

Well done you!
    It looks fantastic and very professional. The branding is strong and really connects well with your website.
    Do you think you'll be doing more?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Lordy doesn't that look fab. Well done Lauren

Beautiful creations you make, so it was wonderful to hear that sales happened. Too right they should.

Great start hope it continues so successfully for you xx

Good for you Lauren, I bet you got a buzz out of showing your work to people actually in the flesh

Do you guys definitely think these shows are worth doing from a business / advertising / sales point of view?
    Would you be tempted to do them more regularly Lauren?
    I'm still happily procrastinating on the matter

Thanks guys

Lucie, that's good to know about the branding - I am clueless in such matters so I think it was more of a happy accident than by design! I'm planning on getting something built to replace the middle shelf as I felt like the display lacked height and depth - the front of the table looked a bit empty and people had to bend down to look at most things.

I think I would do more. It's difficult as I work four days a week as well as running the jewellery business the other three days, so I'm somewhat lacking in prep time for things like shows. I actually wasn't expecting to sell things, I was just looking at it as a marketing opportunity, as no-one will ever know I exist unless I put myself out there doing tada, here I am!

Also, I think it depends on how much it costs to do a show. This one was £65 for the day, which isn't super-cheap, but a lot cheaper than others I've seen in London. It's more of a risk if the upfront cost is high I think. I've applied for an Etsy Christmas one, but think there will be a lot of competition for that one so not expecting to be chosen, but there are also some local Christmas shows near me.

I'm pretty shy in real life, so putting myself in front of the public and trying to talk to strangers about my jewellery doesn't come naturally to me, but I got better at it as the day went on

I also got one of the those card readers (I went with iZettle as Payleven's customer service was shockingly bad) which I think really made a difference. Only one person paid in cash, everyone else asked to pay by card.

Once you have done a few of these things you will start to dream of some sort of stall which just puts itself up and puts itself away again. When I was starting out I was doing events every weekend through the summer months and came to hate the in and out.
    Keep notes on each event - how much it cost, what you took (proft and loss) plus general notes on whether people were spending or looking generally. I did a huge county show once with an enormous craft tent but it cost families so much to get in that they grimly walked around everything but spent nothing. None of us even covered our costs. general weeping in marquee.
    btw trading standards will pick you up on no hallmarking act sign if you are selling precious metal. displaying the things is a legal requirement (HI Stevelao)Happily they are a free download now, used to cost a tenner and I was always losing mine or forgetting it
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk