Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Voronoi

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    He was bloody good too - we didn't get along at first as when I moved to the school, he believed that there were things I ought to have known (that coming from a different syllabus I didn't) so in his view I wasn't applying myself. After some discussion (parents/teachers meeting) he accepted he might be wrong - and said so directly to me. That alone warranted respect. Then I had to prove him right, so slogged to catch up on the bits I didn't know... Later they promoted him to deputy head; a non-teaching role. A great loss.

Chemistry was also just a subset of physics - nothing more than the movement of particles
    good to have teachers like that, shame indeed and a loss to teaching with a non-teaching role.

lovely mind you have for shapes and design Peter - to me I imagine that it looks like a negative of Mokume when you remove one of the metals - totally delicious especially in platinum.

chemistry, isn't that also a subset of cookery?

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    When I've got the thing to my liking I'll be able to make a mould & shoot some waxes, then get them cast. Silver initially - although I could go thinner with gold.
    Once I've messed with the script a bit more though.

I dunno, you post a WIP to avoid things being boring and only get one response
    Thats because people dont know what the .... you are talking about. Maths and me just didnt get on.

Peter, just need to do my accounts this week and work out if I have any money left, then I'm going to email you about CAD-ing me some stone settings that I've tried making various traditional ways, but failed on all! Need to embrace the technological age and stop being such a techno-luddite!

If we're talking teachers, I'll tell you by boring story I ended up doing A-Level maths due to my own teenage stubbornness. A man with a very large white beard, Mr Bunting, patiently took me for GCSE maths. On the pre-sixth form open day, where we got to take our parents round to meet all the teachers and choose our A-Levels, I told Mr Bunting I was going to take maths. He laughed at me. Fair enough really, as he'd had first hand experience of my maths brain (or lack thereof), but it made me want to take A-level even more just to annoy him!

Anyway, of course I was utterly rubbish at it and obviously should have taken art instead, but I was determined to do something sensible at university and art A-level didn't really seem like the way to do that.

So, basically I ditched most of my sixth form maths lessons to hang out in the woodwork shop with Mr Bleasby, who had taught us how to solder, pierce and polish a simple band ring during an activities week option. This is where I discovered my love of jewellery, ditched all my plans to study english literature at uni and went to art school to do jewellery instead!

My utter failure at maths ended up leading me towards my love of jewellery in the end, so I suppose I should thank Mr Bunting for being mean to me on that open evening!

I still suck at maths.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Thats because people dont know what the .... you are talking about.
    Nothing new there. I'm quite used to it these days.

Of course it's handmade - your hands worked the keys etc etc. The computer is just another tool.
    I too had a brill physics teacher and a lovely maths teacher. I wish I had been good enough at maths to do A level physics. I now get the physics mostly but the mechanics of maths...still a nope
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

you lost me after the first sentence!
    but its a very cool looking ring.
    now, you must decipher your post into plain english.

Interesting and cool inspiration for a design- it is kind of fractal like, in that molten metals when they cool give grain boundaries that are voronyi cells- so the design of the ring will mimic the structure of the material within the ring, if it is cast from an alloy anyway nice.

I have to say as a chemist, you have me here:"Chemistry was also just a subset of physics - nothing more than the movement of particles"; on the other hand, chemistry encompasses everything else- and which party would you rather go to- a chemists or a physicists?

Quote Originally Posted by MMM Jewellery View Post
    Interesting and cool inspiration for a design- it is kind of fractal like, in that molten metals when they cool give grain boundaries that are voronyi cells- so the design of the ring will mimic the structure of the material within the ring, if it is cast from an alloy anyway nice.
    Yeah, but not many more than us will recognise it as an influence

I have to say as a chemist, you have me here:"Chemistry was also just a subset of physics - nothing more than the movement of particles"; on the other hand, chemistry encompasses everything else- and which party would you rather go to- a chemists or a physicists?
    Hmm. The chemist's first, nick all the drink, then onto the physicist's. It should perhaps be noted that I know some atypical physicists...

Haha.....I was thinking that chemists were always more fun,....physicists have always been a bit off the wall

3D printing is just becoming ever more interesting, in any number of applications. That said, I think I'll leave it to you for this type of job. I have enough engineering type stuff going on with other work without taking the jewellery down the same route. Also, while I'm not scared of the maths as such, I am scared of the amount of time I could far too willingly expend understanding it all when I should be doing something else!

S.M.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/dtrpp

Twitter: @DTRMetalArt