Thread: Voronoi

Default Voronoi

Still messing with this, but this is what I printed earlier:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150721_135654.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	7938

Phone camera has clearly decided to focus on an area other than the one I pointed to. Also, the colour of the resin is revolting - I've been adding black to yellow to improve the behaviour.

As mentioned elsewhere, the holes in the ring have been generated from a script. There's a few things I want to tweak about it, including evening out the hole sizes between the narrow & wide parts of the shank but overall it's mostly worked.

This is the maths behind it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voronoi_diagram

Now... I wrote the script to do the work, tweaked the script to give a more aesthetically pleasing result, built the ring in CAD, printed it. Is it handmade? Or handcrafted at least?
    If you use a pendant motor or micromotor in your work, is it handmade?

I could have just as readily done something similar in wax - wouldn't be as precise according to the maths, but it would look close enough. I couldn't tweak the pattern as easily, I couldn't redo it more-or-less instantly for a different finger size and I couldn't do a run of them.

Very nice Peter, though you lost me completely with the maths! I'd like to see the actual ring though.

When I've got the thing to my liking I'll be able to make a mould & shoot some waxes, then get them cast. Silver initially - although I could go thinner with gold.
    Once I've messed with the script a bit more though.

I dunno, you post a WIP to avoid things being boring and only get one response

Very interesting it looks great really organic which I think is difficult to do, but the maths looks scary I think best leave that to you :-) . Nice 3D print aswell is that your little RP ?

Not boring at all! Very cool looking ring but am also utterly baffled by the maths/script thing.

My jewellery beginnings actually came from my hatred of maths, which is a long (and probably boring!) story for another time

So, if you CAD/print something, are there limitations as to what you can make a mould from? I'm assuming you can print pretty intricate and complex shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Very interesting it looks great really organic which I think is difficult to do, but the maths looks scary I think best leave that to you :-) . Nice 3D print aswell is that your little RP ?
    Grasshopper does the heavy lifting, I just try and feed it data sets that work Oh, and 3D Coat helped on the filleting!
    Yes, that's the LittleRP. While that Solus is tempting, it's over 4x the cost - I might be better off with building a flexvat for this to get around the worst of the PDMS problems. Working with resins none of the other LittleRP users are using is a bit of a pest - most of them are getting US sourced ones. That's Spot-A HT (yellow) with some black added, 30u layers.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Not boring at all! Very cool looking ring but am also utterly baffled by the maths/script thing.

My jewellery beginnings actually came from my hatred of maths, which is a long (and probably boring!) story for another time
    Maths is just a tool. My A level physics teacher was adamant that maths was just a subset of physics to make communication easier

So, if you CAD/print something, are there limitations as to what you can make a mould from? I'm assuming you can print pretty intricate and complex shapes.
    Oh yes. You can design things that can't be moulded - if I'd applied the holes script to a sphere, how would you make a mould? How would you get the rubber out of the centre?
    (In that exaple, print it in 2 parts with locating lugs, cut the mould, cast the wax and assemble post-casting)
    Or print in a resin that can be burned out, but you've still got the issue of polishing inside the casting.

Loving the look of this, and also would love to see the finished product. As for the rest, I have no clue what anyone is talking about - not boring, just befuddling! Feeling like a dinosaur, having no comprehension of clever techy gadgetry, I'm sure its all very clever and exciting though, and a wonderful boon to the experienced. Any new fangled thing that can help those clever enough to make use of it has to be a good thing, broadening the horizons of what can be achieved. Exciting times. I think its fair to say that maths is NOT my thing, numbers are not my friends AT ALL. :/

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    My A level physics teacher was adamant that maths was just a subset of physics to make communication easier
    That sounds like a physics teacher - I think mathematicians reckon everything is a subset of maths...

He was bloody good too - we didn't get along at first as when I moved to the school, he believed that there were things I ought to have known (that coming from a different syllabus I didn't) so in his view I wasn't applying myself. After some discussion (parents/teachers meeting) he accepted he might be wrong - and said so directly to me. That alone warranted respect. Then I had to prove him right, so slogged to catch up on the bits I didn't know... Later they promoted him to deputy head; a non-teaching role. A great loss.

Chemistry was also just a subset of physics - nothing more than the movement of particles