Thread: Vice!

Default Vice!

What I'm actually after is a recommendation for a new bench vice!
    I need a clamp on type (rather than a bolt down) does anyone have one that they think is great? Or any to avoid?

Ta in advance....

Sarah

Well, I can tell you what I don't like, having tried the assortment at college:

The articulated one which can be turned every which way, is too tall to use seated and you will have to stand up.

Rubber jaws are far too soft to hold securely, so for non marking jaws add masking tape or pieces of bent aluminium.

The ones held on by a sucker don't work for long.
    Personally I prefer a selection of hand held vices which I can rest against my bench peg for piercing or filing.

My main vice is mounted on a small board with rubber door stops as feet, and those brilliant fibre jaws added. This means I can move it out of the way when not needed.
    It can also be put on a felt mat, to rotate it for making a few jumprings. Is that mad, or what? Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fi Fibre Jawed Vice.jpg   fi Fibre Jaws.jpg   Making Jump Rings.jpg  

Maybe the vice squad could help you? hahaha

I have found the same as Dennis, the ones with the ball to turn every way is far too tall to work with unless standing up.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    Maybe the vice squad could help you? hahaha
    Vices are rampant in the jewellery trade

I bought a small bench vice from Machine Mart, along with a half ton press. I mounted the vice at the side of my bench and use it to tap rings round rods etc. If I need heavier work then garage and big vice!

I always stand to use a vice anyway don't remember doing it any other way. It usually involves hitting things with a hammer so sitting isn't the best position

If you want a small vice I have this one http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-8601. I find the articulated ball really useful as well as the (removable) protective rubber for the jaws. I doubt the rubber will last forever and as Dennis said if you really need a super tight grip use some aluminium. I am forever using the vice to hold my ring clamp which holds ring shanks or large links so I can saw a straight join, eventually.

I don't by the way have to stand up to use the vice, I suppose it all depends on where you place the vice! Mine is on my workbench and I can easily use it sitting on a standard office chair. The vice is small though, so if you are going to go at big pieces of metal then it would not be suitable.