Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Boring stuff

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Yes, Damien Hurst is the clearest example of that Peter - all concept and I know the blokes who do the stone carving for him for example. He doesn't actually lift a finger. just provides sketches. He has the very big house though.
    That would take us back to James's comments on Faberge and how he made none of his most famous pieces but do we know the names of who did

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    That would take us back to James's comments on Faberge and how he made none of his most famous pieces but do we know the names of who did
    Check out this goldsmith Caroline; Michael Evamplevitch Perchin and see how many are in his Faberge workshop.

James

wow!

interesting thread. I joined recently (less than 24 hours ago!) and just skimmed the last 7 pages.

being new to the whole metalwork thing, I can see the appeal to use manufactured components. However, as an artist, I find it offends me to use them. So I don't.
    BUT. I love to share photos of my work.

Mostly, though, I'm here to LEARN. so when I post a photo, I'm not looking for ooohs and awwwws. (maybe a few.) what I'm hoping is to get advice on how to make it better.

I'm also a riding instructor/horse trainer.
    Over the years, I've learned how to be a bit tactful about breaking the bad news that your little Suzie and her pony Muffin are NOT going to the Olympics anytime soon.

So, basically, its be kind, be tactful, but above all, be honest.

If you find fault, point it out, along with ways to improve the piece. and I'll try not to show you dull practice pieces like my simple silver band that I did to improve my soldering technique.

I agree, its a shame that people feel hand worked jewelry should be cheap.
    I knit, and it always amazes me that people who spend $$$$$$$$$$$ on cr@p made in China, think that a hand knit sweater made with REAL wool should cost less than the price of the yarn. It's like my years of learning a skill, executing it and making a beautiful one of a kind item have no value whatsoever.

so I knit for myself. and just smirk when I'm asked if I sell.
    same with my jewelry. I make it for me. I'm lucky that way.
    Last edited by more534; 28-07-2015 at 04:06 PM.

My daughter is also a BHSI which she did years ago when she left school, went to Bicton College here in Devon, in the UK. She spent several years working with horses and donkeys at the Donkey Sanctuary in Sidmouth, and has a 16.2hh skewbald which at the moment is out on loan with an option to buy if suitable. Then she qualified as a locksmith many moons ago, so thought at nearly 50 years old she would get a "dry" job rather than being out in all weathers, so gone back to locksmithing. We both make jewellery as a hobby and sell at local craft shows.
    Last edited by Patstone; 29-07-2015 at 06:24 AM.

I adore donkeys. I had a couple of rescues when I had my farm. they're such charmers.

It is nice to be indoors on a wet cold day. or even on a day like today, where the temp is already nearly 30C. its expected to go up to about 35 later on.
    I'm spending the morning working with some sculpting wax. don't know what it'll turn into yet. I have some garnets that I'ld like to work into the piece. might cast it in PMC. a pendant, perhaps.

ooooo.......Maybe I'll do a flight of turkey vultures, and work the stones into their heads......