Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boring stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    I think, sometimes, what "newbies" lack in skill and experience they more than make up for in originality and creativity. All the expertise in the world doesn't make up for a dull imagination and even a so-called "expert" can learn from others no matter what their skill levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    About the only thing I'd quibble there - it's a curate's egg situation... That which is good may not be original, that which is original may not be good.
    No quibble - I quite agree that originality does not equal quality. I should have stuck with the word imagination. If great art was a loaf of bread... tradition, skill and experience would be the flour, water and salt; imagination would be the yeast; and "originality", if there really is such a thing, would be the bubbles made by the yeast feeding on the other ingredients. Originality-for-its-own-sake, which the world of modern "Art" seems to worship, is just bubbles without bread.

Sorry Peter, I didn't mean good, I meant bad - never really thought about the origin of the phrase, I don't know anything about golf (yes, just one more thing to go on the list of things I know nothing about - ha ha, )

Well here goes my 2p worth. As Pat's comments were made shortly after my post in the competition I may be adding 2 and 2 and making 5, but I feel slightly got at here. It's made me reflect though on why I post photos of my work when I do, and Pat, you are right, it is hoping for positive feedback. That said, what I've made may be basic and look like it's been thrown together, but it is likely to have taken me many many hours to make. Yesterday as I finished my pendant I was feeling quite proud of myself for finally achieving my first bezel setting. Well, as my grandmother always said, pride comes before a fall. Constructive criticism I can take so feel free to throw some my way as it'll help me to do better next time.

For what it's worth, if I've ever given effusive praise, then rest assured it's because it's been truly meant.

I may be missing something but I don't see stuff that's just been thrown together? I find this thread quite horrible really. Different people have different skill levels,different design styles etc. If there were people just chucking a few bought components together I could understand the thread,but I personally haven't seen any of that. The other thing is complaining about others work is akin to putting yourself at the top and thinking you are better than others. How would someone feel if someone else said their work was boring and lacked skill..

Susieq, I would hope he it's not aimed at your necklace, it's not as if you've just chucked components together is it (or am I missing something?) And you made your own chain too,how many do that in these comps?

Now, to put the gloom and insulting the work of others aside because that really isn't on, I would like to share that today after accidentally killing something with my first attempt at engraving words,on a special present, I had to remake the whole thing, melted it with the gold falling into the silver, then made it again only to completely burn my pendant wheel out, totally stuffing the engraving and having to rush it to school by 1pm after starting the first sweat soldered built up sterling and gold medal remake at 9:40am. I was thoroughly ashamed of the engraving and a couple of scratches but I rushed it down anyway and it was very gratefully received when I got back I discovered that I engrave much better if I have tourettes while doing it and now have a sheet of scrap silver with lots of annoyed swear words on it

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    Well here goes my 2p worth. As Pat's comments were made shortly after my post in the competition I may be adding 2 and 2 and making 5, but I feel slightly got at here. It's made me reflect though on why I post photos of my work when I do, and Pat, you are right, it is hoping for positive feedback. That said, what I've made may be basic and look like it's been thrown together, but it is likely to have taken me many many hours to make. Yesterday as I finished my pendant I was feeling quite proud of myself for finally achieving my first bezel setting. Well, as my grandmother always said, pride comes before a fall. Constructive criticism I can take so feel free to throw some my way as it'll help me to do better next time.

For what it's worth, if I've ever given effusive praise, then rest assured it's because it's been truly meant.
    I'm pretty sure having looked at your entry that it wasn't directed at your pendant which has a bezel set stone and all sorts of skills involved Susie, it's a good entry that you should be really pleased with.
    This is what happens on forums, without the intonation of voice and facial expressions a post can sound really harsh and we all suffer from uncertainties and confidence lapses in our work and it wouldn't be the first time one of us has thought it was posted directly at us. :/

My comment wasnt directed at anyone, just a passing observation, not meant to offend or down. I have been making jewellery as a hobby for about 5 or 6 years, originally to prove to myself that I could do it after losing an eye. It was pretty hard to begin with, but you get used to it, although it doesnt get any easier. As for the pricing, at local craft fairs you wouldnt sell anything if a ring was £100 even being able to take card payments. I have seen people pick up pendants priced at around £40 and say "how much, thats expensive." Telling them its hand made by me and that its solid sterling silver doesnt make any difference.

Have you tried anything with Tavi Arts? A local and very boring jewellery maker does and sells pieces ranging between £35 for a pair of either cast or PMC done in bought moulds,starfish studs, to £175 for a single strand beaded necklace and it is all very 'boring'

You in Tavistock then? We will meet up one day and compare "boring" jewellery then.

Close by I find varying pricing quite confusing at times, you get people selling unique designs and non-boring stuff,as in it not being the same kinda thing everyone makes selling cheaply then you the occasional 'stuck a bezel and a cabachon on a piece of metal,taa daa' selling,or trying to,at twice the price! I guess,as in all business, the way you market and present makes a bit of a difference but I really don't get how some do it. It seems very varied

As a newbie, I have to say that my heart sank a little reading this thread, particularly the first post. I think all I have to say on the matter is that everyone started somewhere, "without skill" and had to learn. Most of us still are learning.

I thought that this was a forum for all Cooksons customers - not just those who woke up one day skilled and experienced in all aspects of metalsmithing and jewellery making!