Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you make THIS?

Default How do you make THIS?

A friend of mine bought a ring identical to this in Turkey and has asked me how it is made. I obviously have no idea, but i'd really like to research how this was done. Is it a wax model which is then cast? I thought one of the stone setting experts on here might know. I'd love to see a tutorial on how it's made, as it's pretty amazing. Thanks so much for your time everyone. (not sure if i'm attaching the images correctly).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earring_2214.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	7922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earring_2216.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	7923

I would make it using CAD then print the ring and cast it,I have made a video of how I would go about modeling it, I didnt want to copy the ring so I did a quick model that's sort of similar to give you an idea, CAD seems to get a but of a bashing on the forum for some reason, But I hope you get a bit of an insight into how I would go about making it. Oh and the music even annoys me ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h2F...ature=youtu.be

Wow! Impressive CAD skills - I certainly don't bash it, but wouldn't have a clue myself...

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I would make it using CAD then print the ring and cast it,I have made a video of how I would go about modeling it, I didnt want to copy the ring so I did a quick model that's sort of similar to give you an idea, CAD seems to get a but of a bashing on the forum for some reason, But I hope you get a bit of an insight into how I would go about making it. Oh and the music even annoys me ;-)
    What he said, including the music Equally, it could be done in wax; you could just as readily do something similar (not identical) with wire & tube collets.
    Not sure about CAD being bashed here Joe - I think there's just thee & me using it at all. About the only criticism I can remember seeing is regarding it supplanting hand skills, while I'm more interested in it augmenting them.

No bashing from me either. One of my best selling designs was cad designed, though not by me I'm afraid!

I think CAD is brilliant - wish I knew how to use it!

CAD's simple. You just tell the computer exactly what you want it to do, and it does it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    CAD's simple. You just tell the computer exactly what you want it to do, and it does it wrong.
    Ah - my mistake. I thought the computer was meant to read your mind and produce exactly what you'd seen in your dreams...

The trick there is to refine your dreams back to what the computer has shown you, it's far easier to be satisfied that way.
    Just taken a Voronoi mesh derived ring off the printer; as the mesh is completely mathematically generated it seems a bit of a cheat. But I have built up the scripting for it myself at least...
    Next step is refining the script. The advantage there is that I can change the look of the thing (and the size) very, very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I'm incapable of installing a new font, or getting the microphone to work on Skype, so suspect CAD is far beyond my poor little brain!