Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you make THIS?

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I don't mind doing videos when I get time, A sort of a beginners guide to Jewellery CAD if there is any interest ?
    Another person who'd more than interested in your videos Joe

Peter, Are you 3d scanning / printing things too now?

Scanning - no. Printing, although I ought to get some resin that can be cast as well as the higher-strength stuff I've been using.

The resin sounds great. Scanning is a problem - rare to find anywhere that does it on a large enough scale for me.
    CAD and printing is definitely handy to know. Do you price per project?

Have you looked at something like 123D Catch to get a first pass on something large? The resulting geometry can be corrected.

CAD is by time spent, printing is roughly by volume (which stops me ending up with huge structures being the same cost as a ring...)

That's great. I've never heard of the app before. I'll give it a look now.
    I keep getting requests to miniaturise sculptures to make pendants and cufflinks. Most companies offering scanning can only scan 3d items up to 10cm which is a bit of a pain.

I have been playing with a architects friends structural scanner a while back and an iPad app called Itseez3D

http://itseez.com/products/itseez3d

http://itseez3d.com/category/models/

http://structure.io/

Its a small (not so expensive ish) scanner that fits onto an iPad that lets you scan things the smallest been about the size of a can of beer its designed for scanning building structures I think

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0264 (2).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	7946

I so I did a 3D Selfie pretty impressive thing really took less than 30 seconds,I then exported it into Rhino a Cad program cleaned the mesh up a bit so the model looked smoother, an interesting thing is the way it applies map onto the model but I'm not posting that picture as it must have a bug and gave me double chins.

Name:	joe.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	7947

The cleaned up mesh,I thought I would suit metallic purple render

I then milled the cad model,I used a rotary toolpath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RG7wgPTBHA

the finished wax model ready for casting

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	7948

That's amazing. How small is the sculpture? How detailed do you think it would be?
    Would it for instance pick up the lines on a tiny hand or foot?

The sculpture is around an 25mm in height you can scale it to what ever you want but you start to lose detail when you go to small.No I dont think it would show that much detail on something that small at the moment, the smallest thing it can scan with a decent result is around the size of a can of beer (big can) the technology is still pretty new but Im sure in time it will be possible to do it at a reasonable price ,for instance mobile phones can be unlocked with a fingerprint so we cant be to far off ! For bigish sculptures etc there is no problem. In the links there are examples of what has been scanned using the scanner to give you an idea of what its capable of doing.

Still very impressive. Thanks for sharing