Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reclaimed Copper (WIP)

I've got some !! Plus, there's another piece about 5ft long, attached to a motor of some sort..... I'll have to have a word with the owner to see if he needs it and then I'll whip that too! ummm things for free and reusing are always fun, arn't they!

Jules x

Yeah, I wasn't going to get into the re-using thing but OH left some offcuts on my desk when he was making a filter for his brewing bucket and my curiosity took over!

Although, I did ask for copper pipe on Freecycle and got some surly lord-knows-who sent me a rather stark, rude e-mail simply stating that "Copper is £1000 a ton you know!" with absolutely no other help whatsoever... like I was asking for a ton of it

Then he asked what I wanted it for then demanded photos of my jewellery... I sent him some and haven't heard anything since... yeah... nice, polite Freecycler right there!

Probably some scrap dealer making sure I wasn't encroaching on his 'turf'. But it takes all kinds of idiots I suppose and rudeness seems to be growing on trees at the moment!

I can't wait to get to Cornwall to start looking for Beach Glass, one of the nearby beaches is one of the best in the country for finding it apparently. Will go nicely with my re-claimed copper work!

I think the Newlyn Copper Works has been revived but the Hayle one isn't still going. Where have you decided to move to in the end?

Well, there's actually a few places but we definitely want the place we've seen in Carnyorth, we've just got to view it and such but there's also a place in Relubbus we've seen also so we're just waiting to see which one we prefer

Both those places are lovely. Very rural.

Really nice pieces. I wouldn't be in a rush to do too much more to the heart unless you have a really fab idea, it looks pretty good just as it is. Simple, done well, is often harder to do well than something more complex - your workmanship has nowhere to hide.

I love working in copper myself. Many of my pieces are made from some very old copper wire that my father found in a box of my grandfather's tools. It's wound several times in layers of cotton threads and on a big wooden bobbin, which I've used as a prop in some of my photos. I think my grandfather - a passionate maker of things himself - would get a real smile out of me using some of his old junk in this way.

Had a look at your website Boo. Really nice and some lovely pieces too.

Thank you kindly. It took a very long time, soul searching, research and a steep learning curve to get my site up and running how I wanted. Us independent jewellery sellers have to master a lot of skills to survive and I know that I've only just scratched the surface yet - still a great deal to learn.

Thanks Boo

Yeah it's always harder to leave well alone rather than keep tweaking! I have a little idea, not much and it also will be keeping it simple!

Your Grandfather would definitely be smiling knowing you were using his stuff. How wonderful to get to work with something like that... I wish I'd have picked up all my Granddads stuff now!!

What is it they say, less is more and I think the design is elegant and simple

Jules